Official paper transcript

Are you applying for graduate or professional school, or to an agency that's requesting an official transcript? Be sure to follow their instructions. Some institutions or agencies require official transcripts are sent directly to them, while others request that you collect transcripts in security-sealed envelopes to forward to them along with other application documents.

Your official paper transcript

Issued to Institution

Sent directly from the University of Calgary to recognized institutions/agencies.

Choose this option if an organization asks for your official transcript to be mailed directly to them from UCalgary.

Issued in Secured Envelope

Sent individually in sealed envelopes to the student, who them forwards the documents to institutions/agencies.

Choose this option if you need to include an official transcript as part of an application or document package that you’re preparing to submit.

Issued to Student

Issued for a student/alumni's personal records.

Choose this option if you would like to order an official transcript for your own records. The transcripts will arrive in the same envelope if you ask for more than one copy as part of your request.

Ordering your official paper transcript

Current and former UCalgary students who need a transcript issued by mail should submit a request through their Student Centre.

Processing your paper transcript

Allow for processing and delivery time

Transcript requests are processed within 7 to 10 business days. You’ll receive an email notification once your request is processed.

After your request is processed, it will be sent out via courier or mail (depending on the option you select). The delivery time will depend on the delivery option you select. 

Immediate processing

Your transcript will be processed and sent as soon as possible, within our five to seven day timeline.

After final grades posted

Your transcript will be printed once all grades have been posted for the term you specify.

For example, if you request grade posting for winter 2022, your transcript won't be printed until all of your winter 2022 term grades have been posted in your Student Centre.

After degree awarded

Your transcript will be printed once your degree has been conferred. The date of conferral is the day of your convocation. 

View upcoming convocation dates

Students on campus

Important for fall 2022/winter 2023

Are you waiting for a flexible grading request to be processed? Don't choose “Grade Posting” as your processing option. Instead, wait until you see your flexible grading request reflected in your Student Centre and then request a transcript for immediate processing.

If you select the “Grade Posting” option, your flexible grading request will not be included in your transcript. This is because your transcript will automatically print once all your original final grades are in. 

Already requested a transcript for "Grade Posting"? You’ll need to request another transcript after your flexible grading request has been updated in your Student Centre (

Transcript delivery

Your transcript delivery options 

Canada Post

Delivery is free of charge using standard mail service. 

Visit Canada Post for their current delivery timelines.



Delivery costs vary by location.

Within Canada: $20
International: $50

A street address and telephone number are required for all couriered transcripts. You’ll be asked for this information as part of your transcript request.

If needed, you may request your courier tracking number for the courier delivery by contacting Enrolment Services after your order has been processed. 

Note: couriers won’t deliver to a PO box.


  • If you submitted your request through your Student Centre, please email any additional documents to
  • If you submitted your request through the Service Portal, an attachment can be added directly to your request. Please include additional documents as part of your submission.

If you don’t know your UCID number, contact Enrolment Services to get it.

If you graduated after 2016, you can simply reset your IT account here. 


If you graduated prior to 2016, you can create an eID and log in to your alumni portal here. 

You can connect with the IT support team for access to reset your IT account or to receive help to create an eID.


You can request an eTranscript through your student/alumni portal (

If you can't regain access to your student/alumni portal (, you can create an account and submit a paper transcript request through the Service Portal. 

Read the service portal ordering instructions.