Privacy Policy

Collection, use, and disclosure of personal information for the Student Centre

Information is collected under the authority of the Post-Secondary Learning Act and is required to register you in programs, forms part of your student record, and will be used to notify you of information relevant to your registration at the University of Calgary. Financial information is used to process applicable fees and is retained for future reference. If you have questions about the collection or use of this information, contact Enrolment Services at 403-210-7625.

Requesting your University of Calgary ID number

The University of Calgary can release your Student ID number (UCID) over the phone, by fax or mail. To protect your identity, we will ask you to provide some information and to answer some personal questions.

For fax and mail requests, submit:

  • Full legal name - including middle name, if applicable
  • Date of birth
  • Your signature
  • Fax number, mailing address to send the information to

For phone requests:

You will be required to answer a series of personal questions to verify your identity.

If the advisor cannot accurately verify your identify over the phone, you may be required to submit a request in writing. Once the university has verified your identify, your UCID can be released over the phone, or can be faxed or mailed.

Confidentiality of Student Records

In accordance with Alberta's Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP), the University of Calgary is permitted to release the following information without consent from the student:

  • Whether the student is, or was, registered at the university
  • What faculty or program the student is or was admitted to at the university
  • Current or past dates of enrolment at the university
  • Whether the student did or did not receive a degree/credential from the university
  • Date of degree/credential received from the university

For more information about FOIP click here.

Under Section 40(1)(d) of the Act, if you would like to authorize a third party to have access to your confidential personal information, you must do so in writing. If you wish to allow a parent, guardian or other family member to act on your behalf, you will need to either complete a Third Party Authorization form or provide a written letter of authorization signed and dated by the student giving permission for information to be released, or services completed (with the exception of student loans which would require Power of Attorney).