Late fees and interest
If you haven't paid your fees by the deadline, interest will accrue. Check your Student Centre under "Account inquiry" for fee payment deadlines. The university won't remove students from courses for non-payment. Fee deadlines are also listed in the Academic Calendar.
Late payments will result in:
- 1% per month interest rate charged on your past due fees. Interest is calculated on the daily outstanding balance of $100.00 or more and is not compounded.
- An automatic email will be sent to you on a monthly basis informing you of past due fees
- A withhold will be placed on your account. Information on withholds can be found in the University Calendar
- Once your outstanding balance has reached 120 days past due, a final notice will be mailed to you at the address listed on your Student Centre and an external collection agency will collect the outstanding balance (this may impact your credit rating)
As of fall 2019, UCalgary no longer requests tuition payment directly from student loans on behalf of the student. All loan funds will be deposited directly into the student's bank account and students are responsible for paying full fees by the term fee deadline listed online in the student portal or will be subject to late interest.
Administrative fees will be charged to your account if you pay your fees with a cheque and your cheque is not cashable for any reason or you put a stop payment on a cheque already cashed by the university.
Online banking payment issues
- Check your online Student Centre to see if the online banking payment has been applied to your account. If it has been more than five days, go to step 2
- If the payment was made through a Canadian financial institution and has not yet been applied, submit the following information via email to email@example.com:
- Payment date
- Payment amount
- Payment type (wire, online banking, etc.)
- Payor name
- Payor financial institution
- Payment reference number
- Account number used
- Correct account number that should have been used (if applicable)
Common errors that occur during online banking payment:
- Too many zeros at the beginning of account number
- Incorrect account number
- First five letters of last name not included after student number
- First name entered on account number line
Cheque payment issues
- Check your bank account to see if the cheque has been cashed.
- If the cheque payment has gone through on your bank account, but has not been applied to your Student Centre account within 5 business days, submit the following information to Enrolment Services.
- Copy of the cashed cheque (front and back)
- Student ID number
- Full Name
- If the cheque payment has not been cashed through your bank, contact Enrolment Services.
Payments that are initiated online or dropped off in person on or prior to the term fee deadline should not accrue late interest. If there was an error made on the cheque that prevented posting, you're responsible for paying any late interest that accrues, regardless of the date the payment was submitted.
GlobalPay for Students issues
If you are having issues making a payment using GlobalPay for Students contact GPStudents@westernunion.com.
- Email: GPStudents@westernunion.com
- Phone: 1-877-218-8829 or +1-402-884-3041
Refer to helpful GlobalPay FAQs.