Out of province student loans

Student loans and grants are managed by each province. Eligibility is determined based on what province you are a resident of, not where you are attending school.

If you are a student from a province outside of Alberta, you should apply for funding through your province of residency. Please review the following information to learn more about how residency is determined through the Canada Student Loan Program.

Residency for independent students

Students who are 21 years of age or older; have been out of high school for more than four years; have been available for full-time work for at least two years since graduating high-school; are married/common-law; are divorced/separated/widowed; or have at least one dependent child are considered to be independent.

If you qualify as an independent student, you should apply for your student loans in the province where you:

  • have most recently lived for 12 consecutive months while not a full time post-secondary student, or
  • you currently reside if you have never lived in any other Canadian province for 12 consecutive months.

Residency for dependent students

Students who do not meet any of the independent student eligibility are considered to be dependent students.

If you're a dependent student, you'll determine province of residency based on where you parent(s) reside.

Applying for student loans from your province

Find more information about applying for student loans on your province's student aid website:

Before providing the following forms via a Service Request:

  • BC: Paper Appendix 3
  • SK: Program Information Form
  • QB: Confirmation of Attendance and/or Confirmation of Admission
  • NFL: Program Cost Form
  • NB: Program Information Form
  • NS: Program Information Form
  • PEI: Academic Information Form
  • NWT: Form D
  • NV: Student Enrolment Form

Please ensure you complete the following three steps:

Supply your Student ID

Please ensure your UCID is included on the form.

Provide personal information

Only fill out the student’s personal information section - DO NOT fill out the Educational Institution’s section.

Indicating you academic semester(s)

Include a comment in the Service Request indicating the academic semester(s) that you would like reflected (Fall/Winter/Spring/Summer), and how many courses you intend to register in for each semester– please do not write this directly on the form.

Note: These forms are completed by the University of Calgary Student Financial Support / Enrolment Services and cannot be completed in person at Enrolment Services. To do so you must submit a Service Request though your My UCalgary portal (Student Centre).