International agreements

International Agreements

UCI is the central office mandated for the coordination of international agreements between UCalgary and Partner Institutions.

Types of agreements and international collaborations

Student/staff exchange programs

International practice

Collaborative research

Joint scientific and academic activities


Collaborative degree programs

Joint international publications


New agreement

An agreement with University of Calgary International can result in several mutually beneficial outcomes. 

Looking to establish a new agreement? Please fill out and submit the application below. 


Agreement process

Renew agreement

Do you want to renew your agreement with us?

For UCalgary’s external and international partners, kindly email

UCalgary faculty and staff, click on the button below to complete a renewal application.

Renew agreement

International agreements FAQs

UCI is the central office mandated for the coordination of international agreements (excluding research agreements involving intellectual property considerations or outlining financial contributions) between UCalgary and Partner Institutions. UCI manages the process of the agreements with UCalgary Legal Counsel and Office of the Provost. All Linkage Agreements (non-research) require the signature of the Provost.

The Provost signature (or designate) is required for agreements. Other signatures may be added as cases warrant: e.g.: Deans’ signatures for Faculty specific agreements, Vice Provost (International), etc. In cases where an agreement is being taken abroad for a “signing ceremony” the signature of the person representing the University may be included. In this case, the Provost normally has already signed the agreement.

A typical agreement is signed for 5 years, but can normally be terminated within 6 months by serving written notice.

Q: What is the difference between a “faculty” or “discipline” specific exchange and a “general” university exchange?

For a “Department or a Faculty-specific” exchange participating students must be majors within that discipline and the courses they may take are normally limited to that area unless permission is obtained. In the case of “general” or “university wide exchanges” students from any discipline may participate unless otherwise noted in the linkage agreement. All students must meet the regular deadlines and application requirements to be considered for an exchange placement.

Q: In the case of discipline specific exchanges, why do we ask for both Faculty and Departmental approval?

This multi-level support helps to ensure:

programmatic oversight;

that more individuals are aware of the international outreach across the Department and/or Faculty;

agreements are academically integrated and not dependent upon a single faculty member for viability.

Overall this process allows programs to be vetted within academic departments according to their priorities and strategies for international engagement.

If sponsoring an agreement, academic units are asked to:

actively promote exchange opportunities to students; 

review host institution curriculum to pre-identify curricular transferability;

work with the Study Abroad Office to identify pathways which allow for exchanges within particular majors; 

welcome incoming exchange students, ensure a smooth course approval/registration process, incorporate them into departmental activities and identify an academic advisor to assist them; i.e. treat them as your own majors;

actively welcome representatives from host institutions during visits.

Q: What are financial implications involved in maintaining an exchange relationship?

Exchange students pay regular tuition and fees at their home institution and tuition is then waived at their host institution.  This means that the tuition and fees paid by UCalgary students covers incoming exchange student tuition and fees.  This keeps the costs low for students and makes maintaining a balanced number of incoming and outgoing students essential. 

Both incoming and outgoing students are responsible for their own living expenses while abroad (housing, meals, insurance, personal expenses, etc.).  Travel Grants, student financial aid, etc. may be applied for to supplement the increased costs for being abroad (e.g. to cover airfare, differences in currency valuation, etc.) 

Financial implications are very low if a program is actively promoted and stays in a healthy balance.  It is only if a program falls out of balance and cannot be rectified before an agreement ends that a financial problem occurs. Departments are encouraged to consider providing student funding to seed new exchanges or to revitalize inactive exchanges.  Be aware that an exchange must stay in balance within 2-4 semester students otherwise the agreement will limit new enrollment for one side until once again in balance.  This is due to the financial limitations inherent in exchange management.

Does the University provide financial support for students to participate in exchanges?

The Study Abroad Office (UCI) administers a travel grant which is open to undergraduate and Masters students. There may be other UCalgary and non-UCalgary funding sources which may be applicable to an agreement.

UCalgary has a Study Abroad Office which administers general university exchanges and also administers Faculty and Department specific exchanges at the request of the academic unit. Only the Haskayne School of Business administers their own specific student exchange agreements. All students going abroad make use of the mandatory pre-departure briefings (safety and security) through SAO . 

Q: What are other education abroad opportunities to be considered beyond a semester exchange?

There are many opportunities for education abroad at UCalgary.  Some of these can be:

modified versions of exchanges (e.g. semester for incoming in exchange for summer outgoing, semester incoming for outgoing internship placement, etc.);

UCalgary Group Study Program (faculty-led field school);

research, internships, Practica, clinical placements, co-operative education, service learning, short-term work, and volunteer programs.

The amount of time required to prepare an agreement varies depending on the type of agreement, whether a standard template is used, the amount of negotiation between parties that is required, the complexity of the agreement, whether or not other offices and committees need to review the agreement, and whether translation is required, etc. The time required can vary from several weeks to many months. Please contact UCI well in advance to ensure enough time is allowed for document preparation and notify us of date the agreements needs to be finalized.

Agreements utilizing the UCalgary standard template require a minimum of one month. Use of a modified or partner template will require additional time to review and complete.

UCalgary, through the Associate VP Risk Management & Insurance, monitors safety and security around the world and has a rating system to determine who may be permitted to travel to specific locations. You are advised to check the Country Risk Rating at as well as the International Travel Policy prior to proposing a student exchange.

If an agreement is required in another language, it will require additional time to process, as we need to enlist the assistance of a translation services company and have an approved translator from that company proof read/translate the agreement to the applicable language.  Kindly note that we are charged a significant fee for the first translation of the agreement, and additional fees are charged for all subsequent changes (even minor edits).