There are lots of accommodation options for international students, both on-campus and around Calgary. Below are some resources to help you find the right home during your time at UCalgary.


Living on campus is a great option for international students. Students who choose to live on-campus do so because it allows you to be conveniently located close to your classes as well as other campus resources and provides great opportunities for meeting other students. It is also possible to arrange living in residence before you arrive in Calgary. If you’d like to live on-campus, we encourage you to apply right away, as space is limited.

The types of residence options available to you differ depending on your year of study, and what most appeals to you. This also means that you’ll be living with people experiencing the same things – learning how to do laundry, writing a thesis or being away from home for the first time. Our residence rooms are fully furnished, and some have cooking facilities. The university also has a Dining Centre, where students can purchase a meal plan.

Spots in residence fill up quickly, so apply as soon as possible! Apply Here. Applications typically open in December for the following year. Contact Residence Services for more information, or to be added to a waiting list. You can contact them via email or phone at 403.220.3210, or check out more information on their website ucalgary.ca/residence

Navigating the housing market in Calgary can be tough, it may take some time to find the perfect place. Here are some tips to help with your search:

  • Arrive two weeks to a month before classes begin to arrange your off-campus housing.
  • Be sure to book temporary accommodation before you arrive so you have a place to stay while searching for permanent housing. The start of semester can be a busy time around campus and the city so try to make these arrangements well in advance. Go options include staying with family, or booking a hotel, hostel, or an AirBnB.
  • Visit the accommodation in-person and meet the landlord and any potential roommates before committing to the property.
  • If something feels off, the landlord will only communicate via email, they’re not willing to let you view the apartment before paying a deposit, or the place just seems to good to be true – it probably is.
  • Make sure you know what your commute to campus looks like – can you walk, or do you need to take public transport?

What types of rental accommodation are there in Calgary?

  • High Rise Apartments – most apartments have full kitchen facilities and may even come with a dishwasher. Often apartment buildings may have communal facilities like a common space, pool or gym. Laundry facilities are also usually available although typically they are shared.
  • Walk-Up Condos – apartments in smaller two or three storey buildings.
  • Suites – A separate section of a larger home. There is usually a kitchen but may not always be laundry facilities. Often these are in the basement of a home and so there may not be as much natural light.
  • Shared Accommodation (house/apartment) – sharing rental costs can be considerably cheaper, however you may not have as much privacy.

What area of Calgary should I live in?

  • Neighbourhoods in Calgary are designated by what quadrant of the city they are in. The University of Calgary is in the NW quadrant of the city – meaning that you likely want to avoid neighbourhoods in the deep south, unless you want a long commute.
  • Some of the closest neighbourhoods, where lots of students tend to live include:
  • Sunnyside/Kensington
  • Capitol Hill
  • Brentwood
  • Charleswood
  • Varsity
  • Picking an area is going to depend on what’s available, as well as your lifestyle and whether you want to live downtown or closer to campus.
  • When looking at housing, remember to consider Calgary weather! While a 20-minute walk to campus is great in the summer, it’s a little less enjoyable in the middle of winter. Ideally you want somewhere that is easily transit accessible – the c-train can be more reliable than buses in the Winter and gives you more opportunity to explore what Calgary has to offer.

Where should I look for off-campus housing?

Content Insurance

  • You need to purchase content or tenant insurance. It helps to address any lost property or expenses if your belongings are lost or damaged.
  • If you bought insurance before coming to Canada, check your policy to see if content insurance is included.We recommend you obtain a few estimates before selecting a contents insurance coverage provider.    

Lease Agreement

  • Before you move in to your accommodation, you and your landlord need to agree to the terms of your rental agreement in a contract. This contract is called a rental agreement. A written agreement is strongly encouraged.
  • There are laws in Alberta that specifically relate to landlords and tenants. Make sure that you know what your obligations are as a renter, and what is allowed of your landlord. More information can be found here.