The Government of Canada has removed most COVID-19 border and travel measures. However, there is a temporary COVID-19 testing requirements for certain travellers.
For more information please visit the COVID 19 Travel Canada website
How to extend your current study permit
You must apply online for an extension through your account on the Government of Canada's immigration website.
If you don’t have an online account, it's a free service that allows you to submit immigration applications online.
If you have an online account and don’t remember your sign in details, you can create a new account and link the new account to your old account.
Follow the steps below to apply online:
Find option to apply
Sign in to your IRCC secure account. Under your personal information, click the option that says to apply for a "Visitor Visa, Study and/or Work Permit."
Determine your eligibility
Scroll to "I do not have a personal reference code" and click "Determine your eligibility and apply online for a visitor visa, study and/or work permit."
Answer the questionnaire
Answer the questionnaire (stating you’re currently in Canada as a student). You should be given the option to extend your study permit. Continue with the questionnaire.
Complete electronic checklist
You’ll be given an electronic checklist. Fill out the application form, click the blue "validate" button to check for errors, then upload it. Upload all other documentation requested too. You can use your confirmation of registration letter in place of your acceptance letter because it’s more current.
Documents you'll need to extend your study permit
THESE DETAILS MAY CHANGE. ALWAYS FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN DIRECTLY FROM IRCC.
Additional documents may be requested based on your individual circumstances.
- UCalgary’s Designated Learning Institution Number: O18886830282. You’ll need to enter this number on your study permit application form. Note: the first letter is O (as in Onion) and the second digit 4th from the end is 0 (zero).
- Basic documents needed:
- Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student [IMM 5709] – make sure you’re completing the correct application form. This must be validated before you upload it. Do not print and sign this form; you can’t upload a scanned IMM 5709 application form.
- Confirmation of registration letter from UCalgary showing you’re currently enrolled full-time and that you’re enrolled in the next upcoming term (if you’re continuing your studies). DO NOT provide your original admission offer.
- Please follow these directions to download and print your confirmation of registration letter - choose “Permit letter.”
- Proof of financial support
- You must be able to provide proof that you can cover the cost of your tuition plus have an additional $833/month available to you for every month you would like to extend your studies.
- Photograph of yourself – must meet the photograph specifications
- Client information – this is a space to upload optional documents that may strengthen your application. Some students will provide a letter of explanation (in the Word document format) to explain some sort of exceptional circumstance.