Travelling as a student

Ensure you have the proper documents to travel to and enter Canada.

Can I travel outside Canada while studying?

Yes, you can. However your study permit is not a travel document. Your study permit gives you legal status to stay in Canada as a student.

In order to return to Canada you must have a:

  • valid study permit and;
  • valid passport and;
  • a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV: V-1, S-1, SW-1) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Find out if you need a visa or an eTA. 

When returning to Canada, plan to present your study permit and TRV/eTA to the airline staff and Border Services Officers. You should have your confirmation of registration letter and proof of funds available for presentation to an officer, if requested, on entry to Canada.


UCalgary campus

Ensuring that your medical exam is valid

It's important to ensure your immigration medical exam is valid at the time of your initial entry to Canada.

IRCC may cancel visas for students whose medical exams have expired if they have been residing in a medically designated country for 6+ months prior to travel to Canada. 

Learn more about your medical exam

I’m already inside Canada but my TRV expired. How do I obtain a new one?

You must have a valid study permit to be able to apply for a new TRV from within Canada. If your study permit is about to expire, please first apply for the new study permit. Once your new study permit is approved, you may apply for your new TRV.

You can't apply for your study permit extension and a new TRV at the same time. It's a two-step process when applying from within Canada.

You must apply for a new TRV online through your account on the Government of Canada's Immigration website. Please hold onto your passport until it's requested by IRCC.

Please refer the document checklist to determine what you documents you'll need 

Once your TRV has been approved, you'll be either emailed a notification letter, or one will be provided to you in your MyAccount. This letter will provide you a link with instructions on how to mail your passport to Ottawa. You must include this letter with your passport when you mail it to Ottawa; the letter has a barcode on it that's needed to finalize the processing of your TRV.

Instructions: How to apply for a TRV within Canada