The Government of Canada has removed most COVID-19 border and travel measures. However, there is a temporary COVID-19 testing requirements for certain travellers.
For more information please visit the COVID 19 Travel Canada website
Who needs a study permit?
Anyone accepted to study at UCalgary in a designated program of study that'll take longer than six months to complete from the time the enter Canada.
Scenarios requiring a study permit
You've been admitted to UCalgary:
- for an undergraduate or graduate program which will result in you receiving a UCalgary degree when the program is completed
- as an exchange student and you'll be studying for two terms (eight months)
- as a visiting student and you'll be studying for longer than six months
- in an English language program and you intend to study for longer than six months
- into the visiting student researcher program (no matter the length of study)
- you're in Canada as a visitor, and you won't complete your program before your visitor status expires (six months from entry).
Benefits of applying for a study permit
There are certain advantages to applying for a study permit, even if you’ll be entering UCalgary for a program that’ll take less than six months to complete.
Those benefits include:
- If you’re a full-time student, you may be eligible to work on-campus
- If you want to extend your stay in Canada to remain studying, you can apply for an extension of your study permit from within Canada