UCalgary campus

Study Permits

A study permit is issued to students by Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). It authorizes an individual to study at a designated learning institution in Canada for the duration of the program of study. 

Who needs a study permit?

Anyone accepted to study at UCalgary in a designated program of study that'll take longer than six months to complete from the time the enter Canada.

Scenarios requiring a study permit

You've been admitted to UCalgary:

  • for an undergraduate or graduate program which will result in you receiving a UCalgary degree when the program is completed
  • as an exchange student and you'll be studying for two terms (eight months)
  • as a visiting student and you'll be studying for longer than six months
  • in an English language program and you intend to study for longer than six months
  • into the visiting student researcher program (no matter the length of study)
  • you're in Canada as a visitor, and you won't complete your program before your visitor status expires (six months from entry).
UCalgary campus
Student studying

Benefits of applying for a study permit

There are certain advantages to applying for a study permit, even if you’ll be entering UCalgary for a program that’ll take less than six months to complete.

Those benefits include:

  • If you’re a full-time student, you may be eligible to work on-campus
  • If you want to extend your stay in Canada to remain studying, you can apply for an extension of your study permit from within Canada

Your study permit

Learn more about applying, extending your study permit and troubleshooting study permit issues.


UCalgary campus

Apply for your study permit

A study permit is issued to students by Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

UCalgary campus

Extending your study permit

You can apply to extend your study permit within Canada starting 90 to 120 days prior to it expiring.

UCalgary campus

Troubleshooting study permit issues

Learn what steps you can take if you need to address an issue with your study permit