International Study Travel Grant
Let us help you fund your international study program!
The International Study Travel Grant (formerly known as the International Studentship Award) supports University of Calgary students participating in an official UCalgary Study Abroad program.
- Exchanges, Group Study Programs, and international field schools
- Credit-bearing work-based programs such as co-ops, practicums, and internships
- International courses timetabled at the University of Calgary and supervised by a UCalgary professor (i.e. independent research or reading courses)
For Fall 2021 / Winter 2022 Programs
Application status: Open
Once open, announcements will be made via social media & emailed to students accepted for Study Abroad programs.
Application deadline: November 19, 2021
Sponsored by: UCalgary International
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com
To be eligible for an International Study Travel Grant, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Student programs abroad must commence between December 26, 2021 - March 31, 2022.
- Must be earning credit towards a degree at the University of Calgary (UCalgary); i.e. accepted into and registered in a degree program at time of application;
- Must be participating in a UCalgary study program such as a Student Exchange, Group Study Program, or Field School, or a credit-bearing work based program such as Co-op, Practicum, or Internship, or courses timetabled at the University of Calgary and supervised by a UCalgary professor (ie. independent research or reading course);
- Must be obtaining a minimum of three units of academic credit towards their degree for their study abroad experience (three units = one half course equivalent = one (1) semester course);
- Have a minimum academic standing of 2.80 GPA (Grade Point Average) over the last eight (8) courses taken for undergraduate students or are graduate students in good academic standing;
- Have completed at least eight (8) courses (24 units) towards their undergraduate degree program by the time they go abroad (may include transfer courses) OR completed at least one semester of their graduate degree program prior to going abroad;
- Applicants with less than eight (8) courses completed towards their undergraduate degree program at the time of application must have at least four (4) courses completed with a minimum of 2.60 GPA and have completed at least eight (8) courses with a 2.80 GPA, prior to travel; and
- Have not previously received funding from the International Studentship Competition or International Study Travel Grant.
A printable version of the above guidelines are available here.
For students participating in a study abroad program administered by UCalgary International:
- Please log into RAISA.
- Complete/update your profile.
- Click on the ‘Funds’ tab.
- Search for the International Study Travel Grant and click on the apply button.
- Complete your application and make sure to submit it. Please note: you need to press submit. Saved applications will not be considered by the committee past the deadline.
For students participating in a program administered by another faculty/department:
Please follow the above steps to log into the application system and create a profile.
When completing the application:
Under "program details", for program choose “Other”. For the program name, please enter in the name in the following format: Faculty – Program Type – Partner Institution (for exchanges only) – Country. For example:
- Schulich – Exchange – Stuttgart,
- Education – TAB – Vietnam,
- Haskayne – Exchange – Bocconi, or
- Social Work – Practicum – Barbados.
To check the status of an application, please follow these steps:
- Log into your account at http://www.ucalgary.ca/uci/raisa; and
- Click on the tab labeled “My Applications” and then click on "view fund applications".
The status of your application will be shown on the right hand side of the Fund application title.
Here is what each status means:
Accepted - Congratulations, you have been awarded a grant. You will receive an email within 24 hours of this status change with the award details. If it has been more than 24 hours, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to have the letter re-sent. Please make sure to check your junk/spam mailbox.
Applied - Your application has been completed and successfully submitted. Your application will remain at the applied status until the system is updated with the committee decisions.
Declined- Unfortunately, you have not been awarded a grant.
Saved - You have a draft application. Any applications that are saved are not considered by the committee. Please ensure you complete and submit your application by the deadline.
Withdrawn -You have not been able to complete the study program or an acceptable alternative and are therefore ineligible for the grant so your funding has been withdrawn. This is only used for students who withdraw an application before the committee considers it or who withdraw after they have been awarded.
What do I need to do to have my International Study Travel Grant paid out?
Once you have been accepted, here are the steps you will need to complete to receive your International Study Travel Grant:
Accept Terms and Conditions:
- Log into your account at http://www.ucalgary.ca/uci/raisa; and
- Click on the tab labeled “My Applications”, and then click on "view fund applications". You should be able to see a button called “Registration." Please click on it and check the box that confirms you have read and understood all the terms and conditions for receiving the grant.
Update your banking information:
- Enter your banking information through your Student Centre. Under the "My Financials" section and click on "Submit Direct Deposit Info." (NOTE: This is in very small text at the base of the "Awards and Scholarships" block)
When will I get my grant paid out?
The International Study Travel Grant cannot be paid any earlier than December 24, 2021 under any circumstances. Students must provide their banking info and accept the Terms & Conditions prior to receiving their payment.
The grant payment will be scheduled for disbursement according to the start date of your program. For those students departing in December 2021, we will do our best to disburse your grant payment by December 24, 2021. However it will only be processed for those students who successfully complete all above steps by December 3, 2021.
For those unable to meet that deadline, the above steps must be completed by December 10, 2021 in order to receive your payment on January 10, 2022. Subsequent payments will be disbursed as the above steps are completed.
A printable version of the International Study Travel Grant Terms and Conditions are available here.
1. Are there any changes from previous competitions?
No. The terms and conditions of the International Study Travel Grant are the same as for the last competition. Terms and conditions are subject to change in the new year before the grant officially opens.
2. I have applied for a study program but have not received confirmation of my acceptance, am I still eligible?
Yes. You can apply based on the tentative dates and details for your proposed program. If the committee chooses to award you funding, it will be contingent on you providing proof of participation in the program.
3. How much is the International Study Travel Grant?
Since available funds are divided among eligible students, no exact estimate for funding amount can be provided. However, in previous years, the award amount has varied between $500 - $800.
1. If I have received an International Studentship Award or an International Travel Study Grant for a previous degree program, am I eligible to be awarded the grant a second time now that I am doing a different degree?
No. The International Study Travel Grant is limited to one per student, not per program.
2. If I am participating in a UCalgary program as a Visiting Student (e.g. from MRU) am I eligible to be awarded an International Study Travel Grant?
No. Students must be earning credits towards a UCalgary degree.
3. I have applied to transfer to the UCalgary so this program will count towards my degree once I am accepted, am I eligible?
You must be accepted into an UCalgary degree program by the application deadline. Most students will not receive confirmation that they have been accepted for transfer until mid-summer. If you are planning on participating in a winter term program, you can apply in the fall competition for funding if your transfer is not finalized by the March deadline. If you apply before your transfer is approved, you will not be an eligible applicant.
4. I am an Open Studies Student, am I eligible?
No. Open Studies students are not officially registered in a degree program so they are not earning credit towards a degree. If you were an Open Studies student in the past but you have been accepted into a degree program at the UCalgary by the application deadline, you are eligible.
5. I am looking to attend a conference related to my thesis/research/degree, am I eligible?
No. Conferences are not eligible for funding through the International Study Travel Grant. Please contact the Students’ Union, if you are an undergraduate student or the Faculty of Graduate Studies, if you are a graduate student to see what other options are available to you.
6. I am not eligible for the International Study Travel Grant. Can you suggest other sources of funding?
We have compiled a listing of funding options for students to further investigate. Click here for more information.
7. I am an International Student. Can I apply for an International Study Travel Grant to help with the cost of my studies at the UCalgary?
No. The International Study Travel Grant is only awarded for studies outside of Canada. However, international students who are doing a study abroad program are eligible for the International Study Travel Grant funding.
8. I applied for the International Study Travel Grant in a previous year or previous degree but did not receive, may I apply again?
Yes! You are only ineligible if you have received the grant before and were paid.
1. I have not yet received my grant. What do I do?
Please check your bank statement for the month that you were supposed to receive your grant. The money should have been deposited either on the 10th or 25th of the month. If you still do not see the deposit from the University of Calgary in your statement, you will have to contact Human Resources at (403) 220-5932.
1. I want to see if a promotional activity will be accepted, who do I contact?
Please send an email with the details to email@example.com
How can I fulfill my promotional requirement?
1. Volunteer at our Marketing Events:
The most common option available to students is to staff a display set up by UCI or one of the Faculty Exchange offices (e.g. Science, Schulich, Haskayne). This requires a commitment from volunteers, but all of the necessary information is prepared and provided for you.
There are plenty of opportunities throughout the year to participate. The majority of UCI activities occur in the Fall term. In the first week of Fall and Winter terms we do a marketing week to promote study abroad opportunities. We also have Go Global Day in September, where we will have a number of booths set up needing volunteers. Theses displays generally run from 9am-3pm.
There are limited opportunities available for staffing booths outside of weekdays between 9am-3pm.
2. Volunteer at the Study Abroad Office:
Students who are Study Abroad Peer Helper volunteers can use that to fulfill their promotional requirements.
3. Enter our International Video Contest:
Each Fall semester, UCI holds an International Video Contest. Students who have been abroad are encouraged to submit a short video promoting the city and experience they had. This can be counted toward your study abroad promotional requirement. For more information, please check with an UCI staff member in the month of October or the International Video Contest website.
4. Write a Blog/Article:
Personal blogs are never accepted unless directly used by UCI staff for promoting a program. Students will need to contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the possibility of using your personal blog as part of your study abroad promotional requirement before writing it. If you are interested in writing a blog, please follow the instructions provided here.
Articles written for UCalgary online sources (i.e. a Faculty’s blog or program information page, a blog coordinated by UCI staff) are acceptable. Relevant articles written for student clubs may also be accepted. Please report your activity to email@example.com.
Students who write articles about their experiences that are published by an on campus publications (e.g. Gauntlet, UThisWeek) or on a Faculty website designed to promote study abroad opportunities to other students can also have this credited towards their promotional requirement provided we are informed of the activity.
5. Make a Presentation:
Participation in classroom presentations or program information sessions as a past participant are also accepted; however, for this to count, students must be specifically chosen by the instructor or an UCI staff person coordinating the event. Students who are not invited by the organizer will not have it credited towards their promotional requirements. This includes students who simply show up at a classroom to make a presentation. Students are strongly encouraged to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Volunteering for events not organized by UCI (but still affiliated with a UCalgary faculty or department) are also generally acceptable (i.e. Medical electives information nights, MBA information sessions, presentation at orientations, etc.). Please send an email with details to email@example.com.
6. Have your photo used in our Marketing Materials:
Students who provide photos from their trips that are used by UCI for official promotional activities will also be credited ½ hour towards their promotional requirement. Students who place in the International Photo Contest (honorable mention or higher) will receive ½ hour credit towards their promotional requirement. Make sure to advise the Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org regarding your participation. Please Note: simply submitting photos to the International Photo Contest is not sufficient.
7. Social Media Takeover
Many of our students find out about Study Abroad through our social media accounts and we love to share the stories of our current and previous students. One of the ways that you can fulfil your volunteer obligation is to create a social media takeover for us for one day. This will involve sharing stories and pictures about your experience in your program. We typically send out a call for volunteers for this task at the beginning of each semester, or you can contact us in advance of this call at email@example.com.
8. Suggest an idea!
We are always looking for new promotional suggestions. Let us know your idea by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to see if it will count toward your hours!