Writing Support offers creative coaching to help you become a more effective communicator. We also recognize the role that writing plays in inquiry and learning.
Do you want to improve your writing? Writing Support Services offers free individual writing consultations for UCalgary students. We'll support you to develop an individual writing process that'll allow you to become an independent and effective writer.
During the consultations, you can
- discuss your writing process and learn strategies to write more effectively
- review returned papers to understand how to improve your written assignments
- work with an instructor on an ongoing basis to improve essay structure, paragraph development, sentence structure, style, grammar, and punctuation
- receive information on writing papers, book reviews or other assignments
- learn how to use and document sources
- Get help with English as a second language
The Graduate Writing Community also offers drop-in tutoring Thursdays (1 – 4 p.m.) during July and August 2019. Registration is required.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Taylor Family Digital Library, third Floor
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday
9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Hours differ for drop-in consultations
Coordinator, Writing Support Services
Drop-in writing consultations are not offered during the spring and summer semesters. They'll resume in the fall semester.
Free drop-in writing consultations are offered in the Taylor Family Digital Library (TFDL). Consultations are on a first-come, first-served basis. The sign-up sheet is available approximately one hour before the start of the consultation session at the first floor service desk in the TFDL.
- Mondays 6:10 - 9 p.m.
- Tuesdays 6:10 - 9 p.m.
- Wednesdays 6:10 - 9 p.m.
- Thursdays 6:10 - 9 p.m.
- Fridays 11:10 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Saturdays 11:10 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Sundays 11:10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Are you registered in a distance education progra? You may be able to access writing support services using Adobe Connect or Skype to facilitate synchronous tutoring and document sharing. Please complete a request to access distance appointments.
Please note that all distance appointments must be requested with a minimum three business days notice and are subject to staff availability. We are not currently able to offer distance appointments outside the Student Success Centre usual business hours.
Writing Support is happy to offer an online venue for UCalgary students to submit questions from anywhere or anytime. This system allows students to submit quick citations or grammar questions. We aim for, but can't always guarantee, a turn-around time of less than a week on email requests for help. The more direct and specific the questions, the faster that we can respond. For more extensive feedback or support, please book a one-on-one appointment or visit our drop-in consultations.
Writing Support offers writing workshops designed with both undergraduates and graduate students in mind.
Undergraduate Writing Workshops
Through the fall and winter semesters, Writing Support offers workshops that all University of Calgary students can attend.
Graduate Writing Workshops
Through the fall and winter semesters, Writing Support offers workshops that all University of Calgary students can attend. These workshops are designed for students entering or enrolled in a graduate program.
Resources: Writing Support
- MLA (8th Ed.): Citation style typically used in English and Film
- APA (6th Ed.): Citation style typically used in Education, Communication, Business and Nursing
- Chicago: Citation style typically used in History
- CSE: Citation style typically used in the Sciences
- IEEE: Citation style typically used in Engineering
- Vancouver: Citation style typically used in Biomedical Sciences