Are you new to Canada? Are you learning in a second language? The Student Success Centre provides programming and advising for international students.
International Student Advising
International students coming to the University of Calgary often face the challenges of adapting to a new educational system and an unfamiliar culture while learning to communicate effectively in a second language. The Student Success Centre and International Student Services work closely together to support the academic needs of our international student population.
Undergraduate and graduate international students from all faculties are invited to meet with the Academic Development Specialist (International) at the Student Success Centre
Get help with:
- time management
- language development
- reading and writing skills
- general support in transitioning to the Canadian academic context
Available for graduate and undergraduate students
- reading and writing in a second language
- paraphrasing and using sources
- communicating in a Canadian context
- presentation skills
- academic expectations at the University of Calgary
- improving language fluency
- Graduate Student concerns (guest facilitators and graduate peer discussion)
- TED talks and discussion
- Film discussion
International students or students with English as a second language can book through the Student Success Centre for a one-on-one consultation with the Academic Development Specialist (International) regarding academic or cultural issues.
RWRD (Read, Write, Review, Develop) is an ongoing program at the Student Success Centre with registration occurring in Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter terms.
Registration for Summer 2019 is now open. Spaces are limited, so please register as soon as possible. Whether or not you have a place in RWRD, you are also welcome to use these resources to support your language development and academic writing skills.
Join us for Grad Writing Community
- Tired of writing your thesis alone? Join the Graduate Writing Community for weekly Thursday afternoon sessions in a sunny space on the 3rd floor of the TFDL. Drop in writing tutoring and informative break out sessions run weekly.
Writing Support Services
- Writing Support Services offers free individual writing consultations for University of Calgary students who want to improve their writing. We support students to develop individual writing processes that allow them to become independent and effective writers. Book an appointment https://success.ucalgary.ca/home.htm. Please note that Writing Support tutors will be available in July and for a limited time in August.
The Graduate Writing Community is ongoing. Please register through our Events calendar for each time you plan to attend.