Artist in Residence
Our Artist-in-Residence position acknowledges of the value of the humanities at the Cumming School, as well as the growing volume of creative works about medicine, health and wellness, and scientific writing in literature, the performing arts and the visual arts.
The AiR is embedded at the the school for several months during which they observe and interact with students, residents and faculty. Typical activities include:
- The development of writing workshops targeted to students in Medicine. Workshops may focus on creative writing or on improvement of non-technical academic writing.
- Writing mentorship to interested medical students and faculty; manuscript consultations.
- Organization of reading groups focused on medical / scientific / medical humanities literature.
- Observation of and interaction with medical students and faculty, including such opportunities as attending some medical school classes (lectures and small group sessions), observing student encounters with standardized patients, general interaction with and access to fellow students in Medicine.
- Development of a creative response to the Residency, in the form of a reflective essay and creative work to be presented towards the end of the term.
Artist-in-Residence Call for Application 2019 A new Call for Application is pending resolution of COVID-19 pandemic public health guidance
Jane Chamberlin. Department of English, University of Calgary. 2018 Jan 1 to 2018 May 31
Neil Surkan. Department of English, University of Calgary. 2018 Oct 1 to 2019 Feb 28
Mallory Smith. Department of English, University of Calgary. 2019 Oct 21 to 2020 Mar 15