Our Commitment to be a Zero Waste Community
Sustainability has been a long-term foundational commitment for UCalgary. Through the Framework for Sustainability in Administration and Operations, the University of Calgary’s Institutional Sustainability Strategy provides a roadmap to inform the development of sustainability practices across our administrative and operational endeavours. The framework outlines UCalgary’s commitment to be a zero-waste community by reducing total waste generated and working toward a waste diversion goal of 90%.
Initiatives to reduce the use of disposable plastic on campus include:
- Offering reusable plates/cups/cutlery in residential dining
- Encouraging the use of reusable coffee mugs through discounts at select campus vendors
- Offering sustainable options such as biodegradable straws and containers
- 4-stream waste and recycling bins installed throughout campus
- Ongoing planning work to eliminate the use of plastic carrier bags, cutlery, and foodservice ware in compliance with federal Single-use Plastics Prohibition Regulations
All Waste Has Its Place
Textile, battery and ink toner recycling
UCalgary Campus Textile Program was started by a group of students in hopes to decrease the harmful effects of fast fashion and textile production on our planet, and to promote responsible consumption. Help decrease the negative effects of throwing heavy metals in the landfill by properly disposing and recycling cartridges and batteries at the various locations across UCalgary campuses.
More details and locations can be found through the link below.
UCalgary students initiated a polystyrene (often referred to by the brand name Styrofoam) recycling pilot program at Foothills campus in March, 2022 which has now expanded to Main campus. Styrofoam can be recycled at specific collection bins locations for the appropriate disposal of type #4 (low-density polyethylene) and type #6 (Styrofoam/expanded polystyrene).
Recycling bins can be found in the following locations:
- Foothills campus loading dock
- Main campus, Science Theatres loading dock
- Main campus, outside PF1130 main doors
Courtesy Micky Ahn and Daniel Castaneda Mogollon
Help Sort It Out. What Goes Where?
Waste and recycling at UCalgary
Enjoy your coffee from a reusable mug and get a discount at participating campus vendors.
No waste bin in your classroom or conference room? Find a nearby four-stream waste bin and help us sort it out!
Help your old textbooks find a new home with Bound and Copied's book consignment service.