• Scientific name: Malus Parkland and Malus Domestica
• Native to Canada but not the prairies.
• Fruit supports wildlife and can be consumed by humans.
• Crab apples typically begin to grow on the tree in summer and ripen in fall
• Scientific name: Ribes grossularia
• A close relative of a regional native plant with round, juicy, sour/tart berries; often used for preserves
• Watch out for the prickly branches
• Medicinal use for Indigenous cultures
• Round, yellow berries ripen in early summer to early fall
• Scientific name: Pyrus ussuriensis
• Adapted from Europe and Asia.
• Fruit needs to ripen off of the tree, meaning it should be picked once the skin has changed colour and the fruit is still hard.
• Pears should be ready to pick in August or September
• Scientific name: Prunus x "Valentine"
• An adapted, hardy plant with sour, juicy fruits
• Generally used for preserves and baking
• Highly tolerant of urban pollution
• Mid-spring white flower blooms with round, bright red fruit,
ripen in late summer
• Scientific name: Amelanchier alnifolia
• A native plant of the region with sweet berries
• Important for Indigenous cultures: used for ceremonies,
fresh eating, and cooking
• Spring what flower blooms with round, deep purple-blue berries ripen in late spring to early summer
• Scientific name: Rubus idaeus
• While there are some raspberry species native to North America, the red raspberry is adapted from Europe and Asia.
• Raspberries are ready in mid to late summer.
• The fruit is ripe when it is red, and berries on a bush will ripen at different times over the span of a couple of weeks
Red & Black Currants
• Scientific Name: Ribes rubrum & Ribes nigrum
• Adapted, productive plants with tart and juicy berries
• High in vitamin C; good for fresh eating, baking, or preserves
• Aromatic; attracts birds and bees
• Clusters of bright red & black/deep-purple berries ripen in early to mid summer
• Scientific name: Lonicera caerulea
• An adapted plant with sour berries that have a hint of sweetness
• Depends heavily on pollinator populations to grow
• Attracts butterflies
• Spring white flower blooms with irregular-shaped, lavender-blue berries ripening in late spring to early summer