Volunteer Registration and Management (VRM)

University of Calgary Volunteers


Individuals who, with or without special training, provide services or assistance to the university without payment of fees, wages, or salary and without any expectation of any kind of compensation (except travel costs or meal expenses). Volunteers must:

  • be over 18 years old
  • have Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status in Canada or are a current international student enrolled full time at the University of Calgary and hold a study permit. In this case, the volunteer activities must be short-term and incidental to their student work.


Volunteer Work

Volunteer work must be initiated by a university department/faculty and directed by a university employee. Departments are required to obtain written confirmation from their Human Resources partner or advisor, that the duties fall under the definition of a volunteer.

Volunteers are often students who are provided with tasks of a short-term nature that are not part of their course work. This work normally requires little or no training and meets the students' learning objectives. There may also be event-specific volunteers who participate in a one-time event.

Volunteer opportunities for those other than students are limited both in terms of the tasks involved and the time associated with the volunteer opportunity. These tasks cannot include assignments normally done by paid employees covered under one of the university's Collective Agreements.

COVID-19 Standards

To assist with controlling the spread of COVID-19, UCalgary volunteers are required to follow the standards outlined in the document UCalgary COVID-19 Re-Entry Protocols.

  • Do not come to campus if you are feeling ill, particularly with COVID-19 type symptoms of cough, fever, shortness of breath, runny nose or sore throat; or other symptoms identified by Alberta Health Services. You may check the COVID-19 Response page for additional requirements and updates.
  • You are required to wear face coverings in all UCalgary indoor public areas such as hallways, washrooms, and elevators. The full directive and FAQs can be reviewed at Campus Face Coverings Protocol.

If you are a...


Volunteer opportunities at the University of Calgary are managed by the respective sponsoring departments. Links for those departments that have already moved to the online Volunteer Registration and Management System are provided below. If the department is not listed, visit the department’s web site for instruction.

To volunteer, you will need to read the privacy statement and liability waiver.
Your Volunteer Coordinator will advise you of any other requirements, as applicable.


Volunteer Administrator or Coordinator

For information specific to registering and managing volunteers at the University of Calgary using the manual system, or to learn more about the online Volunteer Registration and Management System (VRMS), see the Volunteer Administrators and Coordinators page.





Volunteer Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Orientation

Prior to being approved to volunteer for the University of Calgary, individuals are required to to complete the online Volunteer OHS Orientation course (EHS037).  You will only need to complete this orientation one time, even if you volunteer for multiple departments. Upon completion, you will be emailed a certificate of completion. Retain this certificate as you will be required to provide it to each department that you volunteer with.  

Volunteers require a UCID Number and university IT Account to access the Health and Safety Orientation in Enterprise Learning. Volunteers that do not have a UCID number should contact hr@ucalgary.ca or 403.210.9300 to inquire about a UCID number request form. The completed form should then be sent to Human Resources at hr@ucalgary.ca. Once the request is approved, HR will advise the applicant.

For further information, review the following links and contact your EHS Consultant.

Volunteer Injuries

If a Volunteer Injury can be Treated by First Aid

The volunteer coordinator must take the following steps:

  • Have a certified first aider treat the injury
  • Call Campus Security to report the injury at 403.220.5333
  • Initiate the Online Accident Reporting Form (OARS) 
  • Contact Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) at 403.220.6345 for assistance with completing the OARS report.

Should reporting to the Worker's Compensation Board (WCB) be required, the volunteer must complete the WCB Worker Report and Staff Wellness will complete the WCB employer report.

Injured Volunteer Requires More Than First Aid

The volunteer coordinator must take the following steps: 

  • Call 911 for an ambulance if required 
  • Call Campus Security at 403.220.5333 immediately to report the injury 

Campus Security will contact Environment, Health and Safety who will also initiate the OARS Report.

Updated: March 28, 2019

Volunteer Registration and Management System

The following departments are currently using the online volunteer system.