Enduring Value of the AOF Pregnancy Cohort
In December 2022 Dr. Sheila McDonald presented on the benefits of the All Our Families longitudinal pregnancy cohort study, including the types of research we've conducted over the past ten years (e.g., maternal mental health, breastfeeding practices, child development, and psychometric properties of mental health scales).
Early Experiences of Albertan Families During the COVID-19 Pandemic
This report describes data collected from approximately 2,000 Albertan mothers (a collaboration between the All Our Families and Alberta Pregnancy Outcomes and Nutrition studies) to capture the impacts of the first 3 to 4 months of the COVID-19 pandemic on families in Alberta.
In 2019, Dr. Suzanne Tough was recognized by the United Nations as one of the Top 100 women from around the world who have contributed to mentoring, supporting and empowering women. In 2020, she was asked by SHEInnovates to present her research at the SHEInnovates Women and Global Innovation Campaign by the United Nations Global Innovation Coalition for Change.
Fall 2023 eNews
In this edition, catch up on study updates, fun facts from the 12-14 maternal & youth surveys, and profiles on publications using AOF data. We also have exciting staff news to share, as well as brief survey results from our last newsletter.
AOF in the News
- CBC Radio Podcast & Globe and Mail Article on how much time children are spending on screens since the COVID-19 pandemic (Racine et al., 2023).
- Pandemic Parenting Podcast on Struggles and Strengths: Honoring Pandemic Motherhood (May 2022)
- YouTube Video about how Calgary families are coping during the COVID-19 pandemic (Tough et al., 2022).
- YouTube Video sharing findings related to language development using data from the All Our Families Study (Graham, 2022).
- YouTube Video that shares information related to natural supports, which can lessen the impacts of stress (Tough et al., 2022).
- Video Abstract of longitudinal associations between screen use and reading in preschool-aged children (McArthur, 2021).
- The Conversation Article: COVID-19 stress toll is a family affair, 4 ways to support mother's mental health (Racine et al., 2021)
- YouTube Video related to how researchers at the University of Calgary are transforming the way we care for children (Tough et al., 2021).
- Big Story Podcast related to the impacts of the pandemic on babies (Phillips and Madigan, 2021).
- YouTube Video related to the impacts of the early COVID-19 pandemic on children and families (Tough et al., 2021).
- CBC Radio Podcast related to the pandemic's heavy toll on mothers' mental health (Madigan et al., 2021).
- The Owerko Centre Presents Podcast features Dr. Tough in Episode 2: natural and supportive relationships matter for children (Tough et al., 2020)
- Calgary Herald Article shares how excessive screen time is impacting child development, as explored in the Nature of Things documentary (Volmers, 2020).
- Global News Article related to the impacts of screen time on child development (Young, 2019).
- CNN News Article related to the impacts of screen time on child development (Howard, 2019).
- Time News Article related to the impacts of screen time on child development (Park, 2019).
- Calgary Herald Article shares an update on the AOF study, including next steps (Allford, 2019).
- YouTube Video related to the impacts of adverse child experiences on obesity (McDonald et al., 2019).
- Video Abstract of risk and protective factors for externalizing behaviour at three years (Tough, 2018).
- The Conversation Article: how compassion can triumph over toxic childhood trauma (Madigan et al., 2018; also shared in Yes!)
- MedicalXpress Article shares information related to how adverse parenting syples can follow a multi-generational cycle (Myers, 2017).
- Policy Options Article about the importance of mentorship programs for youth (Letourneau and Tough, 2017; also featured in The Province, Times Colonist, Troy Media, and HuffPost).
- Global News Article related to the ability of a blood test to identify women at risk of preterm delivery (Gilligan, 2016; also shared in CBC News).
- YouTube Video sharing results related to the ability of a blood test to identify women at risk of preterm delivery (Tough and Slater, 2016).
- CTV News Video related to the impacts of screen time in young children including impacts on learning delays (Brown).