Join us for the third annual Calgary Geothermal Workshop, hosted by the Energi Simulation Centre for Geothermal Systems Research (GeoS). The event will be held in a hybrid format, with in-person activities on the University of Calgary campus. The day's agenda will include technical updates on work being conducted by GeoS researchers, research presentations from researchers from other universities across Canada, some technical updates from industry partners, and a discussion of new research directions and opportunities.
History: in 2021, the University of Calgary formally launched the Geothermal Energy Laboratory to help achieve the vision of ‘Geothermal Anywhere’. In 2022, a transformative investment in research funding from Energi Simulation formed the Energi Simulation Centre for Geothermal Systems Research. Today, GeoS consists of researchers representing four faculties across the university and an annual research budget of over $1M per year.
The workshop will be chaired by Dr. Roman J. Shor and Dr. Apostolos Kantzas, the Director and Associate Director of GeoS and members of the Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering at the University of Calgary.
|8:00 a.m.||Breakfast & Coffee|
|8:30 a.m.||Opening Remarks||Roman Shor|
|9:50 a.m.||Geothermal Technical Program||University Researchers|
|10:30 a.m.||Coffee Break|
|10:45 a.m.||Geothermal Technical Program||University Researchers|
|1:30 p.m.||Industry Technical Update||Invited Speakers|
|3:30 p.m.||New Projects & Field Trials||University/Industry|
|3:50 p.m.||Closing Remarks||Roman Shor|
This event will be a hybrid event. When registering, please indicate if you would like to join in person on the University of Calgary campus or if you will be joining via Zoom.
Academia - Industry Funding Programs
- NSERC Alliance funds fundamental and applied research and development with an industry sponsor. Cash contributions are matched 1:1 (for companies >500 employees) or 2:1 (for companies with less than 500 employees) for projects lasting 1 to 5 years.
- NSERC Alliance / Alberta Innovates Advance is special program that funds technology development with grants up to $150,000 per year for up to two years.
- Alberta Innovates Campus Alberta Small Business Engagement provides additional funding for NSERC Alliance grants in partnership with small businesses (<$50M in revenue).
- Mitacs Accelerate provides matching funding to hire graduate students as interns in 4-month blocks (which are stackable). Each 4-month block provides $15k in funding ($7.5k + GST from the industry sponsor) where at least $10k is salary for the student.
- Mitacs Elevate provides matching funding to hire a postdoctoral fellow for two years ($30k / year contribution from the industry sponsor) to undertake applied research.