Ways of Doing
Policies, procedures and practices
Our practices need to be respectful and inclusive of Indigenous peoples and cultural protocols.
- Review and enhance university business procedures and practices, to both minimize barriers to Indigenous community and student engagement and acknowledge cultural protocols in teaching, learning, research and event planning.
- Develop physical acknowledgements and recognition of Indigenous people’s history and relationship to the land, such as plaques that tell the history of Treaty 7 and Métis peoples, inclusion of Indigenous art and architecture, outdoor ceremonial spaces, and landscaping/traditional gardens.
- Work with Indigenous communities, governments and external partners to strengthen financial supports available to Indigenous students.
- Engage with Indigenous communities and other post-secondary institutions as key partners in creating and sustaining strong Indigenous educational programs and pathways to further education.
- Examine student appeals processes and determine ways to incorporate Indigenous perspectives.
- Develop procedures and standards to appropriately reflect Indigenous inclusion and representation in University of Calgary communications and marketing materials.
- Review convocation procedures to ensure we are inclusive of Indigenous perspectives.