About the Office of EDI
We are committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive campus that is accessible to all and free from harassment, bullying and discrimination.
- Chair, Faculty Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (FEDI) Leads
- Chair, EDI Network
- Chair, EDI Data Group
- Chair, Dimensions EDI Executive
- Chair, Dimensions EDI Steering Committee
- Co-Chair, Academic Staff Criteria and Processes Handbook Working Group (ASCP), GFC
- Provost Team
- Vice President Research – Operations
- Extended Deans Council
- Member, External EDI Advisory Board, Innovation, Science and Economic Development
- Governor, SSHRC Governing Council and Executive
- Member, Advisory Committee on Immigration and Ethnocultural Statistics, Statistics Canada
- Member, Inter-Institutional Advisory Committee for National Dialogues and Action for Inclusive Higher Education and Communities
- Member, Education Committee, BlackNorth Initiative
- Chair, Advisory Committee on Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Decolonization, Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences (2020-2021)
- Former Member, Canada Research Chairs Advisory Committee on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Policy
- Former Member, Working Group on Black Communities in Canada, Statistics Canada
- Diversity in Mental Health on Post-Secondary Campuses (Kome Odoko, Dr. Bukola Salami, Dr. Gregor Wolbring, Dr. Malinda Smith), July 22 2021.
Racism, Gender Equity, and data-driven solutions to systemic inequalities in academia, REDI@Work Podcast (Dr. Malinda Smith and Ruth A. Mojeed), May 6 2021.
The Power of Stories to Shape a COVID Recovery, Pluralism Initiative (Meredith Preston McGhie and Dr. Malinda Smith), April 14 2021.
Embedding Anti-Racism and Decolonization in University Approaches to EDI, (Dr. Shelia Cote-Meek and Dr. Malinda Smith), Western University, March 23 2021.
Identifying Opportunities for Change: Critique of Deficit Model and Critical Introspection for Black Inclusion (Dr. Malinda Smith), National Dialogues and Action for Inclusive Higher Education and Communities, University of Toronto Scarborough, October 1 2020.
Episode 2: Unlearning racism. University of Calgary Podcasts, September 23 2020.
Anti-Racism: The Urgency of Action (The Honourable Bardish Chagger, Dr. Kofi Campbell, Dr. Malinda Smith, Dr. Jasmin Zine, Jean Becker), Renison College, September 1 2020.
Inclusive Excellence in Science Post-COVID19 (Dr. Malinda Smith and Dr. Imogen Coe), Canadian Science Policy Centre EDI Panel, July 20 2020.
Hearings on Systemic Racism, City of Calgary (Co-Chairs Coun. Gian-Carlo Carra and Dr. Malinda S. Smith), July 7-9 2020.
EDI and Canadian Postsecondary Sector (Dr. Malinda S Smith with Alex Usher), Higher Education Strategy Associates, June 12 2020.
An African Canadian Response to the Pandemic and International Uprisings, (Dr. Malinda Smith, Dr. George Elliot Clarke, Dr. Afua Cooper, Idil Issa, Ras Rico, Neil Donaldson, Dr. Handel Kashope Wright, Matt Thomas, Lauren Carter), June 7 2020.
- Deconstructing the EDI Acronym with Dr. Malinda Smith. Ideas-Idees Blog. June 3, 2021. Read more.
- Igniting Change: Final Report and Recommendations on Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Decolonization (EDID) (Malinda Smith, Chair), Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences, March 8, 2021. Read more.
- Racial Equity Leadership in Covid Times, UAffairs Magazine, Feb, 25, 2021. Read more.
- More training, education needed to fight systemic racism in public institutions, say Black scholars at U of A. October 2020. UAlberta News Read more.
- Equity, Diversity & Inclusion are at the core of Dr. Malinda Smith's research. October 2020. RonFanFair Read more.
- Beyond a Single Story: Black Lives and Hidden Figures in the Canadian Academy. Ideas-Idees Blog, February 18, 2020. Read more.
- Co-Editor. Nuances of Blackness in the Canadian Academy: Teaching, Learning, and Researching While Black, with Awad Ibrahim, Tamari Kitossa, and Handel K. Wright (UofT Press, 2022).
- Co-Author, The Equity Myth: Racialization and Indigeneity at Canadian Universities, with F. Henry, E. Dua, C. James, P. Li, and H. Ramos (UBC Press, 2017).
- Editor, Securing Africa: Post-9/11 Discourses on Terrorism. (Routledge, 2016).
- Co-Editor, States of Race: Critical Race Feminism for the Twenty-First Century, S. Razack and S. Thobani (BTL, 2010).
- Editor, Beyond the African Tragedy: Discourses on Development and the Global Economy (Routledge, 2006).
- Editor, Globalizing Africa (Third World Press, 2003).
- Co-Editor, Critical Concepts: An Introduction to Politics, with Janine Brodie and Sandra Rein), 5/E (Pearson, 2013); 6/E (revised and updated, in-process, with Oxford University Press).