Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Awards Call for Nominations
The University of Calgary’s annual Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Awards recognize and celebrate inspiring students, faculty, and staff working to advance a more accessible, equitable, diverse, and inclusive university.
The EDI Awards recognize outstanding achievement in practice, event, applied research, policy, program, or other activities that foster equitable, sustainable and measurable change for those who traditionally have been under-represented (women, visible/racialized minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ2S) on campus. The Awards recognize ongoing work or an outstanding accomplishment at a point in time.
Examples may include, but are not limited to:
- A faculty strategic plan and action program that embeds a commitment to the importance of equity, diversity, and inclusion;
- An ongoing action, initiative, or program that helps students from an under-represented group feel welcome and included;
- A tool or practice that provides accommodations for an equity-seeking group, e.g. increased accessibility for people with disabilities, or is designed to address racism;
- An initiative or action aiming at adapting or changing procedures, policies, or practices to make them fair or more inclusive;
- Fostering inclusive excellence in achieving diversity, equity, and inclusion goals;
- Exemplifying leadership in fostering an inclusive campus.
Previous EDI Awards recipients
2021 award winners
Read more about the change-makers building a more diverse and inclusive community.
- Student Award: Keshia Holloman-Dawson, Faculty of Law
- Faculty Award: Dr. William Bridel, associate professor, Faculty of Kinesiology
- Team Award: Calgary Black Medical Student Association members including Aya Ebdalla, Chidera Nwawroh, McNeil-Inyani Keri, and Mursal Mohamud of the Cumming School of Medicine
- Staff Award: Renée Huntley, Indigenous health program co-ordinator, Cumming School of Medicine
2020 award winners
Read more about the inspiring students, faculty and staff who were celebrated for making outstanding contributions toward creating an equitable, welcoming and inclusive environment.
- Student Award: Jasmine McDermott, a mechanical engineering student
- Faculty Award: Dr. Tonya D. Callaghan, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Werklund School of Education
- Staff Award: Pamela Beebe, Indigenous education and protocol specialist
- Staff Award: Elise Ahenkorah, programs and partnerships specialist, WELab, Hunter Hub
- Team Award: Libin Cardiovascular Institute of Alberta’s Women’s Cardiovascular Health Initiative: CV&Me
2019 award winners
Read more about the inaugural diversity awards which recognized students, faculty and staff committed to inclusion.
- Staff Award: The Alberta Sexual Assault Course and Conference Planning Team
- Faculty Award: Schulich School of Engineering Leadership Team
- Student Award: Laura Fader, Schulich School of Engineering