Graeme Bell Travel Award (GBTA)
The goal of the Graeme Bell Travel Award (GBTA) is to enrich and enhance the undergraduate research experience at the University of Calgary. The GBTA provides financial support to student researchers interested in presenting their research at conferences or symposiums.
The GBTA is open to undergraduate students who participated in the Program for Undergraduate Research Experience (PURE), Alberta Innovates Summer Research Studentships (SRS), or Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA) in the past spring/summer.
Award value of up to $1,350
The Graeme Bell Travel Award program accepts applications in the fall (September) and winter (January) for the PURE, SRS, and USRA cohort of the past spring/summer.
PURE / SRS / USRA students can receive a maximum of one award per year. Students can submit applications for both fall and winter deadlines provided they were not awarded in the fall.
To be eligible to apply for a GBTA, students must:
- Be a student in good academic standing;
- Be currently enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student at the University of Calgary;
- Have received a PURE, SRS, or USRA award in spring/summer in the last year;
- Submit a complete GBTA application;
- Be presenting your research at a conference or symposium; and
- Must attend or have attended the conference or symposium between May and April of the current academic year.
In determining who will receive awards, the committee will consider the need for funds, clarity of statements explaining of how the experience will enhance the program outcomes of the Undergraduate Research Summer Studentships program, the number of applications, event type, and the nature of participation.
In general, conference presentations will be given higher priority over poster presentations. The committee may also prioritize upper-level students, first-time conference attendees, and EDI-seeking groups.