Aug. 25, 2021
UCalgary ranked among Top 200 in the world
UCalgary continues to shine in international rankings. The 2021 Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) was released this week and UCalgary has maintained its rank in the 151-200 category for the fifth straight year. Nationally, the university placed in the No. #7-8 category.
“The University of Calgary is growing its international reputation for academic excellence, entrepreneurial leadership and ground-breaking research,” says UCalgary President Ed McCauley. “This ranking is a reflection of the hard work and dedication of our exceptional researchers and faculty.”
In this year’s results, the university had small increases in three measures: highly cited researchers in 21 broad subject categories, papers published in Nature and Science, and per capita academic performance of an institution.
For the ARWU, universities are ranked by several academic or research performance indicators.
- Quality of education: Alumni of an institution winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals: 10%
- Quality of faculty: Staff of an institution winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals: 20%
- Quality of faculty: Highly cited researchers in 21 broad subject categories: 20%
- Research output: Papers published in Nature and Science*: 20%
- Research output: Papers indexed in Science Citation Index-expanded and Social Science Citation Index: 20%
- Per capita performance: Per capita academic performance of an institution: 10%
For more information on the ARWU 2021 released by the Shanghai Ranking Consultancy, please visit the ARWU website.
* For institutions specialized in the humanities and social sciences, such as London School of Economics, papers published in Nature and Science are not considered. The weight of the N&S indicator is allocated to other indicators.