March 28, 2019
40th Annual Chief Justice WIlliam McGillivray Moot
On March 28, UCalgary Law held the 40th annual McGillivray Moot, on the case Appeal from the decision in Duddle v Vernon (City), 2004 BCAA 390,  BCJ No 1430.
The topic of debate relates to an accident at a beach where a young man dove into the water off a city pier and hurt himself quite tragically. The principles in issue were standard of care and causation in a negligence case.
The Appellants were second-year students Olivia Salkeld and Adam Williams. The Respondents were second-year students Wes Lui and Timothy Chan.
Olivia Salkeld and Adam Williams were named the winners of the competition. Top oralists were:
- First: Timothy Chan & Olivia Salkeld
- Second: Wesley Lui & Adam Williams
- Third: Brendan Hill & Nathaniel Schmidt
Thank you to our members of the Bench for the final round:
- The Honourable Justice P.A. Rowbotham, Court of Appeal of Alberta
- The Honourable Justice K.D. Nixon, Court of Queen's Bench of Alberta
- Mr. Stephen Davis, QC, Hadley & Davis
Special thanks to Carbert Waite LLP for their continued support of this event, and to all of the volunteers who helped in the preliminary rounds.