University of Calgary
UofC Navigation

Alberta Student Loans

Alberta student aid is available to Alberta residents using the criteria outlined below.

Apply for Alberta Student Loans

Full-Time Students:

Apply for loans through your online SIAMS account. If this is your first time applying, you will first need to create an account. Returning users can use their regular login information. Check Student Aid Alberta website for application processing time:

Part-Time Students

Apply for part-time loans by downloading a paper application from the Student Aid Alberta part-time student page. University of Calgary Enrolment Services must complete Section 5 of the application.

Receiving my Loan

Students who have been approved for loans will receive a Student Award Letter (SAL) in the mail. This important letter will outline approved funding, disbursement dates, loan amounts, and details about the next steps. Read this letter carefully, it will assist you in creating a financial plan for the academic year to ensure educational, living and related costs are met.

Visit Student Aid Alberta’s Getting Your Money page to understand how it works.

Full-Time Students

  1. The Financial Aid Office can confirm approved loans up to 30-days before a scheduled loan disbursement.  Students must be enrolled in full-time studies before loans can be confirmed. Loan borrowers are encouraged to complete their full-time course registration by August 1 (Fall), December 1 (Winter), April 1 (Spring) or June 1 (Summer) in order to receive their loan funding in a timely manner. 

  2. At the time of loan confirmation, the Financial Aid Office will request funds from your loan to cover your tuition and general fees for the term. Any excess funds will be direct deposited to your bank account by Student Aid Alberta within 7-10 business days. 

  3. First-time loan borrowers, and students who have not received loans for 24 months or more must complete and sign the Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA). Both the Federal and Provincial MSFAAs must be received by the university before loan funding can be disbursed.

  4. Students who are expecting a loan disbursement should always monitor their SIAMS account and their Student Centre to verify the confirmed loan has been issued.

  5. It is your responsibility to ensure your loan funding is received at the university by the fee deadline.

Part-Time Students:

Part-time students with an approved part-time loan will receive a Loan Certificate in the mail. You will need to bring this certificate, along with government-issued photo identification to Enrolment Services to be confirmed and signed by an advisor.

Part-time students receiving a $600 Alberta part-time grant will receive the funds via cheque.

Change of Circumstance

After receiving your loan funding, if at any point during the academic year your circumstances change, you may be required to report these changes to Student Aid Alberta as part of your loan agreement. Changes can be reported to Student Aid Alberta by submitting a Request for Reconsideration – Level 1 form.

What should I report?

  • Change in personal information (marital status, legal name)
  • Change in number of dependent children
  • Change in course load (adding/dropping courses)
  • Change in monthly costs/resources

Dropping Courses

Check in with Enrolment Services when considering dropping or withdrawing from classes. If the registration action changes your full time status and makes you a part-time student, it will impact your loan eligibility and needs to be reported for reassessment. Any drop to part-time status changes must be reported to so we can advise you on next steps. 

Maintaining Interest-Free Status

If you have previously borrowed a full-time Alberta/Canada student loan but are not accessing any further government loan funding, you can still maintain your loans in interest-free status by obtaining Confirmation of Enrolment for Interest-Free Status. Like a loan application, this must be done each year. Requests can be submitted a maximum of 30 days prior to the start of studies by following these simple steps:

  1. Visit
  2. Select NSLSC On-Line Services
  3. Login (or create an account)
  4. Select "Confirm your Enrollment"
  5. Complete the required sections
  6. Submit your request 

Part-time students, medical residents, and students with only Alberta provincial loans (no federal loans) will need to complete a paper Form B to maintain interest-free status on their loans. This can be obtained in-person at Enrolment Services or by emailing

Repaying my Loan

If you are returning to school in the fall, ensure you keep your loans out of repayment by either applying for new loans, or maintaining your previous loans. Otherwise, you will have to begin repaying your student loan.

Repayment happens six months after you graduate/cease full-time studies. When you stop attending, you will have a six-month grace period where you are not required to make any payments toward your loan. After six months, you will be expected to start repaying the loan funds you borrowed. More information about loan repayment can be found on Student Aid Alberta’s website

Repayment Assistance Program

Students who experience difficulty repaying their student loan at any point while in repayment should contact their lender right away. There are a variety of options available to help you ensure you keep your student loan(s) in good standing, including the Repayment Assistance Program (RAP). For more information, contact the National Student Loan Service Center (NSLSC) directly.

Contact Student Aid Alberta directly for questions about loan eligibility, requirements or policies and procedures:

Student Aid Alberta
Phone: 1-855-606-2096