July 15, 2019
Yahoo! Top 6 UCalgary moments at the 2019 Calgary Stampede
For 10 days during the 2019 Calgary Stampede, the University of Calgary community celebrated western heritage and community spirit.
Top 6 highlights from this year’s Stampede
- President Ed McCauley hosted his first UCalgary Stampede Barbecue. Almost $300 was raised for United Way of Calgary and Area while the Students' Union Food Bank raised almost $500 and collected 289 food item donations. Watch the video.
- The University of Calgary’s brand-new parade float was proudly displayed in the 2019 Calgary Stampede Parade in Calgary’s downtown core. This year’s parade entry encourages all participants from the community to "Let your ideas soar.”
- UCalgary vet med researchers spent 10 days at the Stampede grounds evaluating bucking bull behaviour and animal handling. They will provide the Stampede with a report on any recommendations they have to improve the care and welfare of rodeo animals.
- UCalgary participated in a number of community events during Stampede, including the Ismaili Muslim Community’s Annual Stampede Breakfast, Triwood Community Association Stampede Breakfast, and the Wood’s Homes Stampede Breakfast.
- Vet med students were on the grounds with hands-on activities and demonstrations for the public, including an opportunity to palpate a cow simulator model — a fan favourite!
- Yahoo! A number of faculties and business units held their own pancake breakfasts and barbecues. Hundreds of faculty, staff, and students enjoyed these events with colleagues and friends.
Visit UCalgary’s Stampede 2019 website for more information on all the events, and to check out a collection of UCalgary Stampede stories.