UCalgary in top 200 universities globally
U.S. News and World Report releases 2020 ranking
On Oct. 21, 2019, U.S. News and World Report released its 2020 Best Global Universities ranking. The University of Calgary remained in the top 200, ranked 178th globally, and 7th nationally — unchanged from last year’s results. UCalgary continues to rank in the top 100 on the regional research reputation indicator (within North America).
About the U.S. News and World Report Ranking
This ranking is aimed at students who are enrolling in universities outside of their own country. The rank compares institutions globally, as well as those that are highly ranked in certain countries and regions and those that are leaders in key academic subject areas. The ranking is based on 13 indicators that measure academic research performance and global and regional reputations.
The overall 2020 Best Global Universities rankings encompass the top 1,250 institutions spread across 74 countries — up from the top 1,000 universities in 65 countries ranked last year.
The 13 indicators measured in this ranking include:
- Global research reputation (12.5 per cent)
- Regional research reputation (12.5 per cent)
- Publications (10 per cent)
- Books (2.5 per cent)
- Conferences (2.5 per cent)
- Normalized citation impact (10 per cent)
- Total citations (7.5 per cent)
- Number of publications that are among the 10 per cent most cited (12.5 per cent)
- Percentage of total publications that are among the 10 percent most cited (10 per cent)
- International collaboration (5 per cent)
- Percentage of total publications with international collaboration (5 per cent)
- Number of highly cited papers that are among the top 1 percent most cited in their respective field (5 per cent):
- Percentage of total publications that are among the top 1 per cent most highly cited papers (5 per cent)