Why come to counselling at the SU Wellness Centre?
Seeking support can help you in many areas of your life. Whether you are a successful student looking to brush up on your skills, are concerned about a friend, or in crisis, the Counselling Centre can help you identify ways to improve your wellbeing and achieve your goals.
Some of the top reasons students visit us include:
1. Relationship Concerns
4. Academic Concerns
5. Career Concerns
What type of support do we offer?
The Counselling Centre provides a range of service options that include:
*for couples interested in enhancing their relationship through effective communication; assessment and referral to on/off campus resources as appropriate.
The SU Wellness Centre works very closely with other on and off campus services (e.g., Student Success Centre, Career Services, Calgary Counselling Centre etc.) to make sure students are supported for all of their needs.
How do I access the various counselling services?
When you call or visit the SU Wellness Centre to access counselling services, the following process typically occurs:
- Our reception will greet you
- You will be scheduled for an intake meeting with a counsellor or other mental health professional
- Prior to the intake, you will be asked to provide information about:
- Personal demographics (contact information, ID number, birth date, etc.)
- What brought you into the Wellness Centre
- Concerns you are having
- Supports, resources and personal strengths you have
- You will also be asked to complete a brief assessment tool to help clarify areas of concern
- During the intake meeting, the focus will be on identifying and clarifying the concerns bringing you to the Wellness Centre.
- Following consultation with the intake counsellor, you will be directed to one of the available service options
How much do the services cost?
- As long as you are a student at the University of Calgary, the cost of counselling and support services are covered through your student fees.
- Please note that 24 hrs notice is required to cancel or reschedule an appointment in order to avoid a $25 No Show fee. (Please note: Rates and policies are subject to change on an annual basis.)
- Late arrivals (later than 10 minutes after the scheduled start of the session) will be rescheduled and a No Show fee will be charged.
- Charges for a couple are the joint responsibility of the participants involved in the session. If charges are to be applied to an account due to delinquency or No Show/Late Cancellation they will be applied to the University of Calgary student account only (therefore if only one partner is a UofC student he/she will receive the full charges).
- The Counselling Centre will notify you if you have an outstanding bill. Continued non-payment will result in the charge being forwarded to the Registrar’s Office and a ‘withhold’ will be placed on your registration. (For example, this means you will be unable to register in classes, get transcripts or receive your degree until payment is made.) You will not be allowed to book further counselling appointments until payment is made, unless an emergency situation arises.
Go to top of page