Exchange Students

If you're a student pursuing your degree at one of UCalgary's exchange partner universities and would like to spend time studying at UCalgary, find out what immigration documents you need for your studies here.

Students gathered at table
  • If you are a student completing a degree at one of our exchange partnership universities, you may be eligible to apply as an exchange student.
  • To learn more about the program and how to apply, please visit the Incoming Exchange Students page at UCalgary Study Abroad.
  • If you're studying for one (1) semester only, you'll need to apply for either a “Temporary Resident Visa” or an “Electronic Travel Authorization” (except US students). Click here for more information on what you need to enter Canada.
  • If you're studying for one (1) semester only and want to work while you are here, you'll need to apply for a study permit. For information on working in Canada as a student, please click here.
  • If you'll be conducting any independent research on our campus (outside of regular course requirements) during your exchange, you'll require a study permit.
  • If you'll be studying at UCalgary for longer than 6 months, you'll need a study permit.
  • You must have your immigration application approved prior to entering Canada. For more information on immigration requirements, please contact International Student Services at