Site Navigation
Important Notice and Disclaimer
Academic Schedule
Types of Credentials and Sub-Degree Nomenclature
Undergraduate Degrees with a Major
Combined Degrees
Minor Programs
Student and Campus Services
Academic Regulations
Experiential Learning
Tuition and General Fees
Student Financial Support
Q.1 Awards for Undergraduate Students
Q.2 Graduate Studies Awards
Q.3 Financial Aid
Q.3.1 Government Student Loans
Q.3.2 U.S. Student Funding
Q.3.3 Student Budgeting
Architecture, Planning and Landscape, School of
Faculty of Arts
Cumming School of Medicine
Faculty of Graduate Studies
Haskayne School of Business
Faculty of Kinesiology
Faculty of Law
Faculty of Nursing
Qatar Faculty
Schulich School of Engineering
Faculty of Science
Faculty of Social Work
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
Werklund School of Education
Embedded Certificates
Continuing Education
About the University of Calgary
Who's Who
Glossary of Terms
Contact Us
Summary of Changes for the 2021/22 Calendar
University of Calgary Calendar 2021-2022 Student Financial Support Q.3 Financial Aid Q.3.2 U.S. Student Funding
Q.3.2 U.S. Student Funding

Students who are citizens or permanent residents of the United States have several funding options while attending the University of Calgary. Students who are dual citizens of Canada and the United states are encouraged to explore opportunities through the Canada Student Loans ( program first.

For more information visit our website at or email

William D. Ford Federal Direct Loans

As a Title IV eligible foreign school, University of Calgary is able to facilitate the disbursement of four types of loans under the Direct Loans Program.

  • Direct Subsidized Loans are loans made to eligible undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need to help cover the costs of higher education at a college or career school.
  • Direct Unsubsidized Loans are loans made to eligible undergraduate, graduate, and professional students, but in this case, the student does not have to demonstrate financial need to be eligible for the loan.
  • Parent PLUS Loans are loans made to parents of dependent undergraduate students to help pay for education expenses not covered by other financial aid.
  • Graduate PLUS Loans are loans made to graduate or professional students to help pay for education expenses not covered by other financial aid.

Students must first establish eligibility by completing a Free Application for Student Financial Assistance (FAFSA) on the Federal Student Aid website ( Once complete, students must submit a Direct Loans application to the Financial Aid Office for funding assessment and approval.

Sallie Mae

Students who are ineligible for Direct Loans, or who need to borrow additional funding to meet the cost of attendance can apply for a Sallie Mae Smart Option Student Loan.

For more information visit our website at

Veterans Affairs GI Bill

The University of Calgary supports veterans of the US Armed Forces in obtaining their GI bill benefits while attending studies.

All programs must be approved through the Department of Veterans Affairs before a student is eligible for funding. As this process can take up to six months, VA funded students who have applied to the University of Calgary are encouraged to contact the US Financial Aid Office as soon as possible.

For more information visit our website at or contact the US Financial Aid Office at