Site Navigation
Important Notice and Disclaimer
Academic Schedule
Types of Credentials and Sub-Degree Nomenclature
Undergraduate Degrees with a Major
Combined Degrees
Minor Programs
Student and Campus Services
Academic Regulations
B. Registration
C. Open Studies Registration, Registration Standing and Appeals
D. Change of Faculty or Program
E. Course Information
F. Academic Standing
G. Examinations and Tests
G.1 Assessment Conduct and Eligibility
G.2 In-Course Assessments
G.2.1 Scheduling of In-Course Assessments
G.2.2 Online In-Course Assessments
G.2.3 Deferral of Term Work
G.3 Final Assessments
H. Graduation
I. Reappraisal of Graded Term Work and Academic Assessments (final grades)
J. Student Appeals to the University Appeals Committee and University Appeals Tribunal
K. Integrity and Conduct
L. Free Expression
M. Additional Regulations
N. Student Communication and Responsibilities
Experiential Learning
Tuition and General Fees
Student Financial Support
Architecture, Planning and Landscape, School of
Faculty of Arts
Cumming School of Medicine
Faculty of Graduate Studies
Haskayne School of Business
Faculty of Kinesiology
Faculty of Law
Faculty of Nursing
Qatar Faculty
Schulich School of Engineering
Faculty of Science
Faculty of Social Work
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
Werklund School of Education
Embedded Certificates
Continuing Education
About the University of Calgary
Glossary of Terms
Contact Us
Summary of Changes for the 2023-2024 Calendar
University of Calgary Calendar 2023-2024 Academic Regulations G. Examinations and Tests G.2 In-Course Assessments G.2.3 Deferral of Term Work
G.2.3 Deferral of Term Work

Term work is defined as any assessment (papers, projects, tests, etc.) identified on the course outline that is due on or prior to the last day of classes.

Term Work due Before the End of Classes

Instructors, subject to any established departmental or faculty procedures, may establish their own deadlines for the completion of term work prior to the end of term in which the course is scheduled. Students must be made aware of any departmental or faculty procedures on the course outline.

Term Work due After the End of the Term

Should a request to defer term work exceed the end of the term, a Deferral of Term Work form must be completed and submitted to the Office of the Registrar. The deferral will be recorded on the student record. Deferrals are granted at the discretion of the Dean (or designate) and are normally granted for 30 days beyond the last day of the term. Should circumstances warrant, the maximum time that may be granted for a deferral of term work is one additional term. Approved extensions must be sent to the Office of the Registrar. Application information is available at:

See section G.1.2 In-Course Assessments and Absences for additional information regarding absences from tests.