Site Navigation
Important Notice and Disclaimer
Academic Schedule
Types of Credentials and Sub-Degree Nomenclature
Undergraduate Degrees with a Major
Combined Degrees
Minor Programs
Student and Campus Services
Academic Regulations
B. Registration
B.1 Registration Procedures
B.2 Changes of Courses or Course Sections
B.3 Course Restrictions
B.4 Registration in Courses Offered at Different Degree Levels (Graduate vs. Undergraduate)
B.5 Repeating Courses
B.6 Student Accommodations
B.7 Withholds
B.8 Course Load
B.9 Schedule of Classes
B.10 Block Week and Non-Standard Schedules
B.11 Full-time and Part-Time Status
B.12 Residency Requirements, Letters of Permission and Leaves of Absence
B.13 Credit in Courses by Special Assessment (Challenge Examinations)
B.14 Withdrawal from Courses and Withdrawal from the Term
B.15 Registration Exemption Requests
B.16 Personal Information
B.17 Changes in Regulations
B.18 Academic Turnaround Program (ATP)
C. Open Studies Registration, Registration Standing and Appeals
D. Change of Faculty or Program
E. Course Information
F. Academic Standing
G. Academic Assessments and Examinations
H. Graduation
I. Reappraisal of Graded Term Work and Academic Assessments (final grades)
J. Student Appeals to the University Appeals Committee and University Appeals Tribunal
K. Integrity and Conduct
L. Free Expression
M. Additional Regulations
N. Student Communication and Responsibilities
Experiential Learning
Tuition and General Fees
Student Financial Support
Architecture, Planning and Landscape, School of
Faculty of Arts
Cumming School of Medicine
Faculty of Graduate Studies
Haskayne School of Business
Faculty of Kinesiology
Faculty of Law
Faculty of Nursing
Qatar Faculty
Schulich School of Engineering
Faculty of Science
Faculty of Social Work
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
Werklund School of Education
Embedded Certificates
Continuing Education
About the University of Calgary
Glossary of Terms
Contact Us
University of Calgary Calendar 2023-2024 Academic Regulations B. Registration B.12 Residency Requirements, Letters of Permission and Leaves of Absence
B.12 Residency Requirements, Letters of Permission and Leaves of Absence

University of Calgary bachelor’s degrees require that a minimum of 60 units be completed with courses offered by the University of Calgary. The exception is the Bachelor of Social Work, which requires a minimum of 30 units.

Students who wish to complete a second degree should consult with their Faculty to determine which units may apply from the first degree toward the second degree. Typically, second degrees require a minimum of 60 additional units.

Letters of Permission (LOP) 

University of Calgary undergraduate students, in good standing, who wish to take courses at another post-secondary institution must obtain approval from their faculty prior to registering in a course(s). Information regarding Letters of Permission is available at Most students can apply for a Letter of Permission through their at Student Centre. The exception is students in the Bachelor of Health Science (BHSc). BHSc students must contact their program office for information about letters of permission.

University of Calgary graduate students who wish to take courses at another post-secondary institution must consult with the Faculty of Graduate Studies and obtain approval prior to registering in a course(s). Requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Stop-outs and Leaves of Absence (LOA)

Undergraduate students who stop-out (do not register in University of Calgary courses) will be able to return to their studies within a 12-month period. Students can register in courses through their Student Centre.

Students who stop-out for a 12-month period or more, will be required to apply for admission. See section A.4 General Admission Procedures. Under exceptional circumstances, a Faculty may approve a leave of absence beyond 12 months. Students must obtain approval from their Faculty before the 12-month period has lapsed. The Faculty will add a comment to the student information system indicating the approval, with the date of return, and provide a written confirmation to the student.

Graduate students must obtain an approved leave of absence from the Faculty of Graduate Studies. Additional details are available in section D.7 Leave of Absence of the Graduate Calendar.