Site Navigation
Important Notice and Disclaimer
Academic Schedule
Types of Credentials and Sub-Degree Nomenclature
Undergraduate Degrees with a Major
Combined Degrees
Minor Programs
Student and Campus Services
A.1 Classification of Students
A.2 Undergraduate Admission
A.3 Deadline Dates for Undergraduate Applications for Admission and Supporting Documents
A.4 General Admission Procedures
A.5 Undergraduate Degree Admission Requirements
A.6 Undergraduate Certificate Admission Requirements
A.7 Required to Withdraw and Suspended Students
A.8 Home-Schooled Applicants
A.9 Special Admission Categories
A.10 Equitable and Inclusive Admission Process
A.11 Combined or Concurrent Degree Admissions
A.12 English Language Proficiency
A.13 Transfer Credit/Advanced Standing
A.14 Admission Appeals
A.15 Admission to Open Studies (Degree holder and Non-Degree holder)
A.15.1 Application Process
A.15.2 Admission Requirements
Academic Regulations
Experiential Learning
Tuition and General Fees
Student Financial Support
Architecture, Planning and Landscape, School of
Faculty of Arts
Cumming School of Medicine
Faculty of Graduate Studies
Haskayne School of Business
Faculty of Kinesiology
Faculty of Law
Faculty of Nursing
Qatar Faculty
Schulich School of Engineering
Faculty of Science
Faculty of Social Work
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
Werklund School of Education
Embedded Certificates
Continuing Education
About the University of Calgary
Glossary of Terms
Contact Us
Summary of Changes for the 2023-2024 Calendar
University of Calgary Calendar 2023-2024 Admissions A.15 Admission to Open Studies (Degree holder and Non-Degree holder)
A.15 Admission to Open Studies (Degree holder and Non-Degree holder)

Open Studies is a registration category in which students are permitted to take credit courses, however are not admitted to a program leading to degree, diploma or certificate. The Registrar’s Office is considered an Open Studies students home unit.

Open Studies is recognized under the Alberta Designated Requirements as defined by the Alberta Government to admit international students.

For information on exchange or visiting students, dual credit or the Indigenous Student Access Program, see the applicable section in A.9 Special Admission Categories.

Academic staff and visiting scholars who wish to attend a course, formally register in the course, and receive a transcript, must apply using the Open Studies application (see B.1.1).

Note: Current Open Studies students who wish to apply for admission to a degree program will have the application for admission fee waived, provided the application term is no more than 12 months from their last registration term in Open Studies and they have not attended another post-secondary institution.