MSc - Clinical Psychology
MSc - Clinical Psychology
Research and teaching
Internet-delivered cognitive behavioral therapy for survivors of childhood cancer with chronic pain: A randomized pilot feasibility trial
Supervisor: Dr. Fiona Schulte
Michaela Patton is a Clinical Psychology PhD student studying under the mentorship of Dr. Fiona Schulte. Michaela is originally from Washington and graduated from Oklahoma State University with a Bachelor of Science in Psychology. She earned her Master of Science in Clinical Psychology from the University of Calgary, where her master’s thesis project focused on comprehensive assessment of pain in survivors of childhood cancer. Michaela’s doctoral dissertation project will test an internet-delivered cognitive behavioral therapy for survivors of childhood cancer struggling with chronic pain. Michaela is also passionate about including patients as partners in her research.
- Patton M, Stokoe M, Forbes C, Nwaroh C, Noel M, Reynolds K, Schulte F. (2020). The intergenerational transmission of chronic pain from parents to survivors of childhood cancer. Children, 7(11): 1-12. https://doi.org/10.3390/children7110246
- Schulte F, Patton M, Kunin-Batson A, Olson-Bullis B, Forbes C, Russell KB, Neville A, Alberts N, Heathcote L, Karlson C, Banerjee P, Racine N, Charnock C, Hocking M, Noel M, Krull KR (2020) Pain in survivors of childhood cancer: A systematic review of the current state of knowledge and a call to action from the Children’s Oncology Group. Cancer. https://doi.org/10.1002/CNCR.33289
- Patton M, Schulte F (2020). Commentary: Harnessing the parent perspective to understand cancer-related fatigue in adolescents. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 45(10): 1103-1105. https://doi.org/10.1093/jpepsy/jsaa098
- Schulte F, Forbes C, Wurz A, Patton M, Russell KB, Pluijm S, Krull K (In Press) Childhood cancer survivorship: Daily challenges. Pediatric Clinics of North America, 67(6): 1083-1101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pcl.2020.07.004
- Patton M, Dobson K (2020) Proposal for the extension of medical assistance in dying (MAID) to mature minors in Canada. Canadian Psychology. https://psycnet.apa.org/doi/10.1037/cap0000219
- Wroot H, Azal A, Russell KB, Forbes C, Trépanier L, Patton M, Fidler-Benaoudia M, Reynolds K, Schulte F (2020) Fear of cancer recurrence among survivors of childhood cancer. Psycho-Oncology. 29:1132-1140. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.5387
- Patton M, Dobson K, Malone J (2019). Professional psychology in Alberta: The 2019 survey of Alberta psychologists. Psymposium, 30(2), 13-17. ISSN: 1193-2627. https://issuu.com/paa-psymposium/docs/september_psymposium_2019?fr=sNmI1MDIyOTExNg.
- Patton M, Dobson K, Malone J (2019). Professional psychology in Alberta: The 2019 survey of Alberta psychologists. CAP Monitor, 60, 14-18. https://www.cap.ab.ca/Portals/0/pdfs/Monitor/CAP%20Monitor%2060.pdf.
- Noel M, Holley A, Wilson A, Durkin L, Patton M, Palermo TM (2016). Post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms in youth with versus without chronic pain. Pain. 157(10): 2277-2284. https://doi.org/10.1097/j.pain.0000000000000642
Alberta Innovates Strategy for Patient-Oriented Research (SPOR) Graduate Studentship – 2021 ($30,000 CAD)
International Graduate Tuition Award – 2020 ($3,000 CAD)
Alberta Graduate Excellence Scholarship – 2020 ($15,000 CAD)
Vi Riddell Pediatric Rehabilitation Research Program Graduate Studentship – 2019 ($22,000 CAD)
Training in Research and Clinical Trials in Integrative Oncology (TRACTION) Fellowship – 2019($2,000 CAD)
Training in Research and Clinical Trials in Integrative Oncology (TRACTION) Fellowship – 2018 ($4,000 CAD)
Alberta Children’s Hospital Research Institute Graduate Scholarship – 2018 ($21,000 CAD)
Faculty of Graduate Studies Master’s Scholarship – 2018 ($500 CAD)