Nov. 15, 2018
UCalgary introduces Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Awards
The University of Calgary community is invited to submit nominations for the first annual Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Awards. It is important to acknowledge the efforts of those on campus who are taking steps towards creating a welcoming campus for all in our learning, teaching, living and work environments. The awards recognize all students, faculty, staff and post-doctoral scholars for outstanding individual or group initiatives.
“Our office is excited to introduce the awards this year and showcase the inclusive and respectful campus culture at the university,” says Dr. Valerie Pruegger, PhD, Director of the Diversity, Equity and Protected Disclosure Office (ODEPD). “This is an opportunity to showcase and recognize the people on campus who have advanced diversity and inclusion.”
Award submissions can be made in three categories; students, staff (MaPS and AUPE employees) and faculty. A team nomination can include members from all of these groups.
The Diversity Awards are looking for outstanding achievement in a practice, event, applied research, policy, program or other activity that fosters sustainable and measurable change for any group traditionally under-represented on campus. It can be ongoing work, or a point in time.
- A faculty strategic plan that recognizes the importance of diversity and inclusion
- An ongoing event that helps students from an under-represented group feel welcome and included
- A tool or practice that increases accessibility for people with disabilities
- Adapting or changing procedures, policies or practices to make them fair or more inclusive
- Fostering excellence in achieving diversity, equity and inclusion goals
- Exemplifying leadership in fostering an inclusive campus
Nominations are open from Nov. 15 until Dec. 31, 2018. More information about the eligibility, criteria and the nomination form can be found on the ODEPD website.