Feb. 28, 2019
International search process begins for new vice-president (research)
A message from President and Vice-Chancellor Ed McCauley
The University of Calgary has commenced the international search for a new vice-president (research). The vice-president (research) is the principal leader in driving innovation, research and discovery at the university, fulfilling the priorities outlined in the Eyes High Strategy and the Academic and Research Plans.
Reporting to the president and vice-chancellor, the vice-president (research), or VPR, is the chief research officer of the university. Accordingly, the VPR provides leadership in defining and achieving the university’s strategic research directions and priorities; promotes excellence in research, scholarship, innovation, and creative activity; supports the commercialization of research; oversees compliance in research; and coordinates interdisciplinary research and technology transfer activities. This includes providing key leadership in research funding, integrating research into academic programming, strategic planning and the implementation of research budgets and operations.
Dr. André Buret, PhD, was appointed to serve as the interim vice-president (research) and has been in this role since Jan. 1, 2019. Dr. Buret was previously an associate vice-president (research) at UCalgary, as well as a tenured professor of Biological Sciences at the Faculty of Science and an adjunct professor of Physiology and Pharmacology at the Cumming School of Medicine.
An advisory selection committee has been formed as part of the search, which will consist of the following representatives:
- Dr. Ed McCauley, chair;
- Dr. Dru Marshall, Office of the Provost and Vice-President (Academic) representative;
- Dr. Jon Meddings, Dean’s Council representative;
- Dr. Penny Werthner, Dean’s Council representative;
- Dr. Susan Graham, General Faculty Council representative;
- Dr. Jocelyn Hayley, General Faculty Council representative;
- Dr. Benedikt Hallgrimsson, General Faculty Council representative;
- Humaira Waqar, MaPS representative;
- Erik Henningsmoen, AUPE representative;
- Dr. John Baker, TUCFA representative;
- Marcela Lopes, GSA representative;
- Sagar Grewal, SU representative;
- Saifa Koonar, Alumni Association representative; and
- Matt Brister, community member at-large.
The advisory selection committee would like to invite UCalgary stakeholders to weigh in with your thoughts and ideas for the VPR search. To provide your confidential input on the keys to success for the next vice-president (research), I encourage you to visit the VPR search page.
Dr. Ed McCauley
President and Vice-Chancellor