Dec. 14, 2020
Explore your city
Get to know Calgary and all that it has to offer
COVID-19 may have put a lot of iconic Calgary events on hold, but there are still a lot of things you can do during the holiday break. Here are a few ideas that’ll help keep you busy (but still physically distant) well into the New Year:
- Edworthy Park has great views of the city, and lots of trails you can explore on both sides of the Bow River.
- One of the best views of downtown Calgary can be found at Rotary Park. Once you’ve filled your Instagram feed with amazing shots, a straight walk down from Rotary Park leads you across the Lions Gate Bridge into Chinatown where you’ll find more cool sights, and lots of great places to shop and eat.
- In the winter, you can skate on the frozen lagoon at Bowness Park. You’ll also find pits for bonfires placed near the pier for warmth. If you need to rent skates or have your sharpened, visit UCalgary’s Outdoor Centre location in the park.
- Olympic Plaza is another great place to skate during December. The lights hanging at the rink light up and music plays from the speakers. There’s even a Christmas tree in the middle of the rink!
- Have you ever been skiing and snowboarding in the middle of a city? You should head over to WinSport and check that activity off your bucket list. There are lessons if you’ve never done those activities before. And you can opt for tubing instead if you’d rather just go flying down the hill!
- If you’re looking to get in an outdoor workout, head over to McHugh Bluff. Also known as the Crescent Heights Stairs, this location will provide you with an excellent view of the city and there is no better staircase to do a HIIT workout in all of Calgary. To top it all off, you’re also guaranteed to see some really cute dogs out for a walk while you’re there.