May 15, 2020
Accessing mental health support
We can all experience mental health and well-being issues, but major life changes – like the COVID-19 pandemic – can trigger more serious reactions. Talking to a mental health professional can help.
If you’re feeling overwhelmed, Student Wellness Services has a new distance strategy to help you access support.
Note: If you are in immediate distress, contact one of Student Wellness Services’ after-hours partners.
To get started, simply email email@example.com.
You can keep your email simple – just your student ID, preferred method for initial contact (e.g., email, phone, video chat) and, if possible, your availability for an appointment. A mental health team member will gather more information when they connect with you.
Once you’ve sent your email, a team member will connect with you in one to two business days:
- If you’re new to Student Wellness Services or haven’t been connected with someone in a few months, a student support advisor will schedule an intake session.
- If you’re a recent client, a student support advisor will connect you with your counsellor.
You can also access online learning through D2L or attend a wellness workshop at any time without a referral.
What to expect from your appointment
Unlike therapy apps, distance support through Student Wellness connects you directly with a member of our mental health team by phone and live video chat. They can help you find positive ways to cope, enhance strengths, increase confidence in your academic ability, and help with navigating systems on and off campus.
At the end of your appointment, you’ll make a follow-up plan together to support your well-being.
Common next steps include:
- accessing online learning through D2L*
- attending a virtual workshop*
- booking a follow-up appointment
- receiving a referral to off-campus services
- booking a single session counselling appointment
- receiving a referral to brief, individual counselling
- receiving a referral to a physician
After your appointment, your student support advisor will be available to answer any questions about your wellness plan and help you make changes if needed.