March 30, 2020
53rd annual Night of the Dino goes digital
The 2019-20 season was a remarkable one in so many ways for the University of Calgary Dinos. Highlighted by a pair of national championships in football and men’s cross country, the Dinos saw incredible success across the board, adding five Canada West championship banners to their collection and bringing home a wealth of individual honours.
Normally, these exploits would be feted at the annual Night of the Dino awards gala, which had been scheduled for Tuesday, April 7 at the Red & White Club. Instead of a two-hour in-person banquet, the Dinos will roll out a two-week series — a ‘Fortnight of the Dino,’ if you will — recognizing these achievements. The awards will culminate with the announcement of the Dr. Dennis Kadatz Athletes of the Year on Thursday, April 9.
“While of course we would have preferred to come together as the Dinos family, circumstances made that impossible this year and of course our first thoughts go to the health and safety of our student-athletes, coaches, and staff, as well as the entire university community,” says athletic director Jason Kerswill. “But there was still plenty to celebrate from the past year, and we hope that these two weeks will bring those happy memories back for the entire campus.”
Follow the Dinos’ social media channels and stay tuned to GoDinos.com as we take an extended look back over the 2019-20 season. Here’s what to expect:
Monday, March 30
- Freshman Awards of Merit (nominees for rookie of the year)
Tuesday, March 31
- Awards of Merit (nominees for athlete of the year)
Wednesday, April 1
- MedWest Athletic Therapy Scholarships
Thursday, April 2
- Tribute to Fifth Year Student-Athletes
Friday, April 3
- Service Recognition: Senate Service Award, Murray Fraser Awards, Dr. Lou Goodwin Award, Margaret Southern Award
Monday, April 6
- Calgary Booster Club Scholar-Athletes
Tuesday, April 7
- Charlesglen Toyota Coach of the Year
Wednesday, April 8
- Bill Popplewell Rookies of the Year
Thursday, April 9
- Dr. Dennis Kadatz Athletes of the Year
- For the most up-to-date information about the University of Calgary's response to the spread of COVID-19, visit the UCalgary COVID-19 Response website.
- For resources to support students, faculty, staff, alumni, and all our communities during this unprecedented time, visit the UCalgary COVID-19 Community Support website.