Individual Exchange Programs
U of C Student on exchange in South America
What is an Exchange?
An Individual Exchange Program is based on an agreement between the University of Calgary and a partner institution to "exchange" students for one semester or for one year. Several partners also offer summer exchanges. We have exchange agreements with over 80 universities in 30 countries. Programs are mainly aimed at undergraduates, but graduate-level exchanges are possible on a case-by case basis.
About CISSA Exchange Programs
- You pay tuition to your home university and take classes abroad without being charged foreign student tuition. You are responsible for all other costs, such as travel, housing, food, books, and so on.
- You remain eligible for U of C scholarships and student loans.
- You can choose from the full range of courses offered at the partner institution, provided you meet the prerequisites and there is space available in the course. Most of our partner universities offer a similar range of courses to those available at the U of C, however an exchange is a great opportunity to take courses not available at the U of C.
- Courses taken abroad on an exchange are recognized as transfer credit towards your U of C degree.
- Many of our exchange partners in non-English-speaking countries offer courses in English, so consider all of your options when choosing an exchange site.
- Some universities have a language of instruction other than English. In this case, students must have at least an intermediate language level before studying abroad (2 courses at the 300-level or the equivalent).
Connecting with Exchange Students
Other Programs and Options
How to Contact Us
If you are interested in learning more about Individual Exchange Programs, please feel free to contact us. Call, email or drop by the Centre for International Students and Study Abroad for more information on current Individual Exchange Programs.
Centre for International Students and Study Abroad
Room 275, MacEwan Student Centre
Our regular office hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30pm.