How to Book a Rural Elective
To book a rural elective, you need to contact the preceptor yourself and follow the registration process set out in UME (for undergrad electives) or PGME (for resident electives).
Please note: some locations are not eligible for funding through the Rural Medicine - DLRI office. click here for the list.
The following sites/speciality are full for Summer 2013:
- EM - Canmore, Banff, Lethbridge, Grande Pairie, Medicine Hat
- GIM - Lethbridge
- Sundre - all specialties
- Whitehorse - all specialties
- Yellowknife - all specialties
After going through the steps below and you are still stuck, please drop by or book an appointment with Lisa
Here are a few sources of information for you:
- Do an internet search for clinics in towns/cities you are interested in. I don't think there is a clinic in Alberta that has not had an elective request. Most clinics have a web presence with contact info. You can always ask for the Clinic Manager and start with them.
- If you have someone, or a specialty in mind, search for their contact info on the College of Physicians & Suregons of Alberta web site
- If you are looking for locations, and don't know where to start, you can take a look at our 2009-2010 annual report, as It lists all of the towns/cities that had students or residents that year. The list of locations is on pages 3 &4.
- Alberta College of Physicians & Surgeons
- Alberta PCN's
- Alberta Hospitals and Health Facilities
- Rural Alberta Development
Booking Electives Process:
- Find a Preceptor (see above)
- Register your elective with the UME
- Expenses - For all funding related information (process, forms, restrictions, eligibility, etc) please click here
- For a list of locations that are not eligible for funding through the Rural Medicine - DLRI office, please click here